.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, October 02, 2008

No'Reilly

Bill O'Reilly has a feature...

...called "Pinhead or Patriot?" on his evening talking head hour. He examines recent actions of people, usually celebrities, and based on those actions, he brands them "Pinhead" or "Patriot". Sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I don't. Sometimes his choices for "Patriot" seem almost condescending, like the recent knighting of Lady Elizabeth Taylor for rolling out on a stage. Yeah, I know...that comment made me a pinhead, but it's true nonetheless. I really doubt that the woman I saw did a whole lot in the way of licking envelopes.

Lately I've been disagreeing more and more with the self appointed "Looking Out For" me guy. By the way, if he's looking out for me, why doesn't he at least say something before I trip and break a foot? It's bad enough he doesn't give me cash, he looks on while a bunch of rotten stuff keeps happening. But I digress.

Recently he called Al Franken a "Pinhead" for stating that, while he thinks that it's "probably not a good idea" to have God references in the pledge, on money and things like that, he doesn't care enough to argue with anyone about it. OK. He's not going to tell the people who WANT it there that they should remove it, he's just choosing his battles a little more carefully.

Isn't that what we want? People who believe what they want to believe without trampling on my right to believe what I want to believe? I would support the rights of those nuts who want mangers taken out of town squares and the 10 Commandments taken out of government buildings if they debated fairly. I might even agree with them if they used other tactics, who knows?

So, Franken admits to his feelings but allows other people to have their own way where it doesn't really affect him. If more people thought like that, this entire country would be a much nicer place to live. While there are many days on which I might agree with Billy Boy that Franken is a pinhead, this is not one of those days.

The way I see it, Franken is guilty of nothing more than honesty. I doubt that he brought the subject up. But when asked, he honestly told us that it wasn't something that he would lose any sleep over. He didn't call O'Reilly a rodomont. He didn't even say anything negative about those who would like to have those God references around for the sake of security. He simply said that he thought that it "probably" wasn't a good idea. Maybe he's right, who knows?

The only thing that I'm sure of is that Franken is behaving more like a patriot than the rodomont in this instance.

And, as much as I would love to say something catty about Demi Moore, I don't think she was being very pinheadish when she mentioned that she felt as though we've been through 8 years of "arrogant leadership" and that the government has acted like they "know better" than we do. I felt that way all through the Clinton years, Viet Nam and The Great Society. Does that make me a pinhead as well?

Even Moore's boy toy had a point when he acted more like Kelso on That 70's Show than a responsible adult when he asked why we were paying for a war when "they have money and we don't". He acted like an idiot when he said it, but to be honest, there ARE a lot of idiots out there and idiots need representation as much as anyone else. Kutcher's question was a legitimate one, albeit idiotically asked. Kutcher was, at worst, proof that a pinhead can also be a patriot.

So, we have one guy who thinks one way but acquiesces to those who think otherwise. Then, a woman who questions authority and arrogance in government. And next, just for laughs, we have a nit wit asking why we are paying for a war that we don't seem to be benefiting from. To top it all off, we have a man who calls these people pinheads for their words. I won't call the man a pinhead, but listen here you rodomont, you aren't being very patriotic today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home