.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Guten tag!

I guess most of you have heard about the major gas shortage down here. If you can find a station that has gas, there's a crazy line that goes down the street. I don't remember it being this bad in the late 70's. People are running out of gas while they're in the line and enough fights have broken out that a lot of the stations have cops directing traffic so that no one cuts in line and begins some sort of middle-class soccer dad rumble. The only thing worse than a 30 something guy with a spare tire, baggy shorts and socks on under his sandals is an angry 30 something guy with a spare tire, baggy shorts and socks on under his sandals.

Apparently the shortage began with a hurricane that happened weeks ago. The actual shortage was last week and now the only problem is that the humans are all in hoard mode and everyone is afraid to let their gas tank get too far from the 'F' so they gas up because they can instead of doing it because they need gas. It would seem as though there aren't many people at all who are doing what I've decided to do...stay at home. There's gas in my car because I haven't gone anywhere.

I like to live life on the edge with a devil may care attitude. When the weatherman mentions a .08% chance of show flurries, I never buy any extra milk or bread. Somehow, I've been lucky enough never to have an emergency need for bread in the worst of the Chicago storms I've weathered, I know I can survive an Atlanta storm without hoarding a months worth of food for snow that may or may not come. Even if the snow DID come here, it would melt as soon as the sun came out. So, a month's worth of bread for a "storm" that happens and goes away before I wake up in the morning seems a bit like overkill.

I've was snowed in for a while during the 79 blizzard in Chi-town. No one even drank any milk. They all drank beer and played poker for 3 days. It was actually like a party that you couldn't leave. And to my memory, no one starved to death in Illinois during that storm.

So, I'm not going to run around looking for more gas right now like the homeless look for spare change. I'll just sit here and bitch about the people who do.

I do have one thing that I hoard...sources of light like large flashlights, candles and cans of Sterno. If the power goes out for ANY reason, you'll be able to see my house from space because it will be totally illuminated. I sat in the dark for one evening and that was all it took. And as God is my witness, I will never sit in the dark again. Oh, I could even have a candlelight buffet with my Sterno. Cool. I probably wouldn't serve bread, but I could whip something up.

So, while most of the men in this country will be watching football games today, many men around here will be sitting in long lines trying to fill up their gas tanks before the work week starts. What a bunch of putzes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home