.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Hi Hi!

I am so pleased with myself over an idea that I just came up with but at the same time I'm disgusted with myself for not thinking of it sooner. Lately my phone has been ringing OFF THE HOOK with political calls and who knows what else. I generally just ignore calls from people who I don't know and I certainly wouldn't answer an Unknown Number call.

My father kept nagging me to get an answering machine but I didn't want one. So, for Christmas, he gave me what he wanted me to have, an answering machine. Most of the time, I don't bother with it. I might turn it on if I'm expecting a call or something...but generally I just leave it off.

When I was growing up, I was taught to hang up after 4 rings. If the person didn't get to you in 4 rings, they either weren't home or didn't want to sit there hearing the phone ring forever. I have people who have been calling me and letting the phone ring for so long that it does something I didn't even know it did...it eventually just stops ringing and hangs up on the fool who's letting it ring. I like it when that happens, it's almost worth listening to the phone ring so numbskull sits somewhere thinking, "I'll get her...I'll just let it ring and ring and ring and ring. TEE HEE!!!" I love it when the phone just hangs on on people itself.

But remember...I have the dumbest phone in the world. The base AND the phone both ring so that you absolutely CANNOT track down the phone whn it's ringing. You hear both of them ringing simultaneously and it sounds like it's coming from every direction. That is SO gosh darned ANNOYING! By the way, it's not like the phone people got smart and put an on/off button on the piece of shit either...you cannot make the phone or the base stop ringing.

I digested again.

Back to my wonderful idea.

I've been getting more phone calls than I ever have...in any election in my entire life. At the peak time in the evening the phone rings every 10 minutes, give or take a minute here or there. Sometimes it's a recording, maybe even by the candidate himself/herself! But all too often it's a person who wants me to engage in a conversation with them.

I hate talking on the phone and I hate it even more when it's someone I don't know, didn't expect and want to hang up on. But, since I hate to be rude, I can't just hang up on them. So, I've started answering the phone like this, "Como?" They start to talk and then I say, "No hablo Ingles." It works really, really well. People don't seem to mind hanging up on Spanish speaking people.

I think I'm going to learn some German words so that I can do it in German a few times. This can be fun AND quite the learning experience!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home