.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

My day in Los Angeles...

...began very early this morning when I awoke to find both my daughter and my dog missing. It was about 5:30 and I had no clue where those two yahoos had gone. Within about 20 minutes, they came back bearing coffee. That was cool because both my daughter and I have both...consistently...forgotten to buy coffee at every single coffee buying opportunity that has presented itself for days. It's really getting quite ridiculous.

Anyway, Annie walked in with my dog and a large coffee for us to share and at that moment I only wanted 3 things out of life...I wanted my dog and my kid to come back...and I wanted a cup of coffee. So, I smiled pleasantly and sipped my coffee as Annie and I planned our day.

We had some errands to run and one of them found us near the La Brea Tar Pits. My daughter lives less than a quarter mile from La Brea Avenue and one of our errands took us south on La Brea until we reached the tar pits. Since we were there, I decided to pull over and check those suckers out.

It was pretty cool...there was one main "lake". It wasn't very big but it was much larger than the numerous small pits that peppered the land around the Page Museum which sits in the midst of Hancock Park. G. Allan Hancock inherited the land around the tar pits from his father who had drilled for oil on his property. The lake had obvious oil slicks and occasional methane "burps" from below the water. There was an active excavation going on in "Pit 91" which was pretty cool to watch. I saw fossils from saber toothed tigers amongst others.

I was chatting with one of the excavating dudes and he gave me instructions as to how to volunteer. It sounds really cool, you go to a few classes to learn about the pits and the various fossil types that they're searching for and then you get to go through the tar that's been dredged from Pit 91 looking for micro fossils. I could handle that. I dig tar.

After we left the tar pits, we went to Trader Joe's and picked up a few tasty items for our culinary enjoyment. On our way back, we stopped to get gas and ran into Christina Ricci at the gas station. My daughter is familiar enough to exchange a few words with her but I didn't even know who she was so I hung back and picked my lottery numbers.

So, my first "celebrity sighting" of this tour of California is a chick I don't even know. I have high hopes that it will get better soon but I also have a nagging fear that the next sighting could be of some annoying quasi-celebrity like Perez Hilton. Oh well, we'll see!

Before the day was over, we had been to the Target store on the corner of Santa Monica Blvd. and La Brea Avenue, the dog park on Poinsettia and the 99 Cent store on Wilshire Blvd., just a hop, skip and a jump past Rodeo Drive. I was a bit taken aback by the fact that a dollar store could exist so close to Cartier's, Christian Dior's and Armani's.

There were so many pretty things that I wanted to take pictures of for you only I didn't have a camera. But...very soon I'll get one and I'll have some really cool pics up here for you guys!

We also passed the surprisingly small diner where they filmed the diner scene in Pulp Fiction.

Well, it's 2:30 am and I'm quite sure that there's something I'm forgetting to tell you but I'm falling asleep at the computer so I think I'll just turn in for the night and hope that my mind is rested enough to remember when I wake up. Oh...and if you remember what it was that I had forgotten, leave a message in the comments.

:):):)

In the meantime, all I have the strength to worry about is this...what the heck is the hard button over the B on a lap top for? Any answers will that you may want to offer will be greatly appreciated.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Marie said...

Hay Sis,
I believe the butten is another cursor.....You can use it instead of the little pad.
Love You
Dinky

October 07, 2009  
Anonymous Wendy in Houston said...

It's an alternate mouse. If it doesn't move your cursor then it has been disabled. I disabled mine because it caused the cursor to drift around the screen on it own sometimes. How has Payton been with the adjustment?

October 07, 2009  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

What do you know? It IS a mouse thingie! It hasn't been disabled, I just didn't know what the heck it was there for.

Payton is doing fine so far. We took him to a dog park but it wasn't an off leash area and most of the other dogs were as tall as Payton's knee. I found out that there's an off leash area to take him to up Runyon Canyon so next time I'll take him up there.

He's fine but he stays very close to me almost all of the time. This morning when I took him out, he did his business and then he walked over to the step I was sitting on and he sat next to me and just watched people go by. He's such a sweetie!

:)


Marie, can you call me sometime?

October 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home