.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

After hours and hours...

...of working on this Vista ridden albatross of a computer, I THINK I may have sound AND video at the same time. I won't know until I try it and I'm multi-tasking...dinner is also in the works. I'm making my son one of his favorite meals, country fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy with all the trimmings. That's one of those meals that I didn't learn to cook until I came South. I did learn well, though...I make a mean country fried steak.

My grandmother taught me that one and a few others as well. Her simple sausage gravy recipe is so good, but of course it's not quite what we'd consider "healthy" today. But, back in Grandma's day...it was part of a good breakfast. But every so often...damn it's good. I watched her once and I had that recipe down.

I don't know why my mother didn't make that stuff...the best gravy comes from the cheapest sausage and she had 6 kids to feed. The only Southern breakfast she really ever cooked was Virginia Ham when she could get it and she could only get it when someone came in from Virginia or if we went there. The world was a lot bigger back then.

I learned a LOT from my Aunt Jean...she was a great cook and she had a large menu in her head. One night she made stuffed peppers and I loved them. I had never had them before so I asked her how she created such a wonderful dish. I was 18 and didn't know much more than cinnamon toast, fish sticks and lettuce in a bowl. But I knew that I could make anything that I wanted, all I needed was a recipe.

As easy as stuffed peppers are, I screwed up my first time. When she said to "stuff the peppers" with the ground beef, she never said that it should be raw. Of course, she never said to fry it up first...but that's exactly what I did. So, I browned the meat first and instead of stuffed peppers I served sloppy joe peppers. But I figured it out quickly and now I'm a pro. I love cooking.

You know, I only came here to tell you something that I still haven't told you...all because I went off on a tangent about cooking. Sorry about that.

What I came to say is that I may have the web cam and the mic working at the same time. But...dinner prevents me from finding out right now. So, I wanted to tell you that.

It seems sort of silly now but when I started this post it made a lot of sense to me.

Of course, I'm a tad less sentient than I could be...I've been up for well over 24 hours right now. I slept late yesterday which was a good thing because work called me in last night after someone else called out. I was happy to do it for them since I had called out Saturday night. Anyway, I had some errands to run so I told them I'd be in as soon as I could, but it wouldn't be before 7. I got there at 8 which was fine. Last week I had a doctor's appointment that was postponed so I rescheduled it for today at 1. I was afraid to go to sleep after I got home from work for fear of sleeping past the appointment. Then, by the time I got home from the doctor's office, I was totally wired. Now, here I am multi-tasking.

Today I got two boxes of the second kind of the experimental medication. I'll show it to you on the web cam if I can. OK...dinner time.

See ya!

Meg

OK, I have to make the batter for my steak. See ya soon.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home