.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

I HAVE TO GO TO COURT...

this coming Friday. The attorney asked me to write down everything that happened last summer. This is it....


Dear Mr. Zeilinski,
Here are my answers to the questions you sent me. Although I don’t see the relevancy of some of them, here they are. You asked me to write out what happened. This is my story. For the past 2 or 3 years, my husband has been very distant. When I questioned him, he said that he was just a quiet guy. He always had an answer and he always assured me he loved me so I just plodded along. I kept getting ill and couldn’t seem to get better from one illness before another would strike me. I felt he was cheating again (he has cheated a few times, but I thought we were working this all out, his behavior during his affairs is always to treat me with contempt) but he just turned everything back on me and said I was insane and needed help. I was very ill last spring, I couldn’t eat and I lost over 70 pounds. In June, he left to visit his family. I was very ill at the time and the doctor put me in the hospital. He had to come back early and this angered him. I came home from the hospital on Saturday after a Friday surgery to remove one of the tumors from my parathyroid gland. He was treating me with contempt and on Sunday I asked him why and he told me he didn’t love me anymore. When he fell asleep, I took some credit cards out of his wallet to go online and try to get some answers. The next day, he called me from work and said he was going out after work. I called him back to tell him I had his credit cards and he freaked out. I was afraid so I called my father and he said to go online and get a ticket to Florida so that he could take care of me. I was online doing this when Rick came home and he proceeded to beat the keyboard. I called 911 and he pulled the phone out of the wall, or so we both thought. I ran into the bedroom to get the other phone and he pulled that one out of the wall too. He then threw the bedside table at me as I was running away. The police came as the kitchen phone had never actually been disconnected. He was arrested for assault, interfering with a 911 call and domestic violence. I took out a restraining order. I was so ill, I needed him to take care of me so I dropped that restraining order and let the bond condition of no violent contact stand. He came home and although he was telling me that he loved me and he would stay if I was a good girl, he left as soon as he got his car fixed. During this time, he was contemptuous to me except for the time that he had his sister and her family stay with us. A week after his car was fixed, he told me he was leaving one morning after 16 years of marriage and 22 years of being together and there was nothing I could do to stop him. As I was begging him to stay until I could take care of myself, he pushed me down in between our bed and the dresser. As I stood back up, he hit me in the face with his hand and said something to the effect of, “Get away from me, you make me sick”. He had made love to me the night before and actually, he had never stopped. I guess he was trying to placate me so that I would continue to have hope for the marriage and keep jumping through the hoops he set up. It was the most humiliating and degrading time of my life. I called the police and the woman officer refused to arrest him, saying if he had punched me, she would see marks. My entire face was swollen from crying and the bruise developed later. Then, I went to a judge and he saw the bruise and he signed a warrant for Rick’s arrest. We went to court and he told the judge that I had a car so she awarded him the only car that worked. He had already cancelled the insurance on my car that had been paid through December. The insurance company said he applied it to his own car. I am doing my best to keep it together but I am scared and don’t know what to do. His maintenance checks, the little bit I make from caring for a lady with multiple sclerosis and from watching my grandchildren is all I have. I have borrowed money from my father but I can’t keep this up much longer. I am getting sicker by the day and don’t know what to do. I live paralyzed by fear and the ever present possibility that he will cancel the health insurance on me. He knew that I was terrified and couldn’t eat, I began to eat some when he came back but I am now so wrapped up in fear that the best I can do is sip little bits of ensure to keep me going. I don’t know what to do. If you have any other questions for me, please let me know.



NOW...are you sure you want to get married?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a horrid monster. I think it's amazing that you've retained your sense of humor after everything you've been through. Hemingway said that to be a writer, you have to have suffered. After being married to Rick, you're prepared to write a modern classic. It all catches up eventually.
-Stacey

"The best ammunition against lies is the truth, there is no ammunition against gossip. It is like a fog and the clear wind blows it away and the sun burns it off."-Ernest Hemingway

February 10, 2005  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

You know, I don't mind what I have been through so much. It is over and done with. I just wish I wasn't in such a financial bind. BUT...I am so excited about what the future holds...I can't wait to find out!

Meg

February 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home