.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Meg,

Your post on the elderly broke my heart....I know little bits of what you write, I go to visit a 95 year old lady, and have to hold my nose at the smell, then have to go find her cause no one, even the charge nurse, knows where she is! Along the way are the lonely...."do I know you?"...."can you talk to me?".....I leave in tears...

This man and the many others who have written to me about the conditions of far too many nursing homes have truly invigorated my drive to do something about the situation. I am a firm believer in the notion that we can truly make a difference if we set our minds to something. My first step in this endeavor was writing about the situation on my blog. When I wake up, I am going to begin making life miserable for those who take money in exchange for mistreating the helpless people who sit in wheelchair's along the walls of nursing homes begging for help or just a little bit of attention. From the corporations that "manage" these hell holes with money from Medicaid and Medicare to the slugs that take a paycheck for mistreating and/or neglecting our elderly, I am about to get medieval on them all.


On a lighter note, I just came into my house from a lovely evening. I say "came into my house" as opposed to "got home" because for the past three hours, I've been sitting in my driveway in a Saab convertible chatting with a very nice man. So, technically, I came home quite a while ago...but I just now got IN my house.

We began the evening at 8 PM. We went to a place called Mazzi's and had a very nice dinner. There, we had a pleasant conversation that lasted for over two hours. Then, he drove me home and we pulled into my driveway, still chatting away. About an hour after we started talking, we went to the convenience store around the corner for a couple of bottles of soda and then we went back to my driveway and continued our conversation. Before we knew it, it was 3 AM. We spoke a little bit longer before he walked me to my door (he said that if he didn't walk me to my door, his mother would smack him) and he kissed me goodbye. I don't remember the last time that I was kissed at my doorstep after a date! We made plans to see each other again and sthen we said our goodbyes.

To tell you the truth, I really didn't expect much this evening. I had no reason to, I haven't met such a nice guy in a very long time. But, I was pleasantly surprised and I am as giddy as a school girl. When I realized that my divorce was taking longer than I had expected, I sort of stopped bothering much with dates. But, you never know when this sort of thing will happen and I'm as tickled as I can be. Rick isn't what you would call a bright man and he is incapable of participating in a conversation that requires an IQ in the triple digits so I don't remember the last time that I had such a long, pleasant chat with a man. Of course, I went out with a few nice guys last spring, but none of them left me with this feeling. It's the kind of feeling that tells me that when I finally do go and lay my head down this MORNING (!), I will enjoy thinking of our date and will surely fall asleep with a smile on my face.

During our conversation, he mentioned that he loves to cook so we decided to get a movie and cook dinner here one night this week. We didn't decide on an evening yet but I hope it's tonight! Of course, tonight is Monday night even though I haven't gone to bed yet from Sunday night. I will refer to him here as Cutie-pie until he gives me permission to use his name. He has never read this blog although I did mention it to him and when he comes over for our cooking date, I will explain the nature of it before I show it to him.

Anyway, Cutie-pie and I sat in his convertible for hours looking at the sky and talking about everything under the sun...or should I say under the moon? He told me about his kids, his mother, his entire family. We seem to have so much in common, he even lived in Chicago for 15 years. We listened to all kinds of music, but mostly jazz. He is younger than I am, but not by decades this time, just a year. Even though we are so close in age, his kids are much younger than mine. He is the deacon at his church and he conducts the Youth Group at church so I had to wait for him to finish with that before we went out. He is invloved in an organization that is trying to change the way that the Georgia courts dictate child support. I don't know much about it but the web-site is
www.GaChildSupport.org . Cutie-pie is handsome, intelligent, politically active, can participate in conversations about the world and current events, he is a decent man and he adores his children. Basically, he is the exact opposite of Rick.

One of the songs that we listened to in his car had a line that made me think of Gail Glenn..."You can have my husband but stay away from my man." Of course, Cutie-pie isn't quite "mine", but he is most assuredly a man.

Oh my! The sun is coming up! It's Monday and the garbage man comes this morning so I have to go and get the trash all bagged up. All of a sudden, the lack of sleep is hitting me so I should hurry and get the trash out so that I can go to sleep with that smile of which I spoke earlier!

When I wake up, I am going to begin my "crusade" against those who have no respect for our elderly!!!

See ya soon!

Meggers

Send comments to:
meg.kelso@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home