.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I don't know anything about this Imus dude...

...but I do know hypocrisy when I see it. It would seem that the infamous radio personality is guilty of SSWW (speaking stupidly while white). He has "insulted" the leaders of the black community and he's running around the "circuit" apologizing to every African American with a TV, radio or newspaper. Apparently he made a comment that was considered rather rude and inconsiderate...he referred to the Rutger's Women Basketball team as, "Nappy headed ho's".

The first piece of hypocrosy is on Imus. He isn't at all sorry that he made that comment. He knows how funny it was and he knows that he is NOT a racist. Behind closed doors, white people are laughing at the comment and they know that THEY are not racist. I'd wager a LOT of cash that there are some black people who laughed when they heard it. I don't care what the media says, black and white people are NOT that different. You don't have to like what I just wrote...but you absolutely cannot doubt the veracity of it.

The second piece of the hypocrisy comes from those who silently allow American citizens to twist in the wind while being punished from all directions for merely speaking words. If you even bring up the Constitution in a discussion about this, someone will say, "It's the GOVERMENT who has to respect your right to free speech, they can't put you in JAIL for it, but we can punish him all we want." Apparently the Constitution doesn't apply to mere citizens, right? Yet, when Lester Maddox didn't want to serve blacks, he lost his restaurant. Nobody claimed that his rights were only subject to the whims of the government. Mr. Maddox never broke any law but his right to be around white people was replaced by the black's right to be around white people.

You don't need an ammendment to the Constitution to protect a person's right to say, "I love you." You need the ammendment to protect unpoplular speech...maybe even stupid speech. There's a very good reason that the forefathers wanted us to have free speech, it promotes discussion and a free exchange of ideas...something they recognized as a pre-requisite to growth.

If the whites felt more comfortable being honest, you would hear them berating the other whites who make those stupid comments. We could easily police our own people, if we weren't afraid that anything and everything we say could possibly evoke a round of talk shows, a law suit or total social exile. It's much safer to shut up than to second guess what might make another person take offense.

And, the black community has the right to bitch all they want about comments that offend them. But to force non-repentent white folk into putting on some rehearsed and choreographed show for them is another bit of the hypocrisy. It only serves to polarize a few more people every time it happens. What a shame. There will be no growth until we can all be totally honest and open with each other without fear of being called racist.

The final hypocrisy is that the exact same people who whine, moan and bitch when white people make those assinine, "racist" comments, are the ones who will protect a rapper when he degrades women with misogynistic lyrics such as:

Efil4zaggin's pleasant tune:

"...There ain't no jokin',When the pussy holes are open. Ready to fuck until my dick is raw,Yo! the muthafuckin' devil's son-in-law.[peter, peter, the pussy eater No, it's the e, the muthafuckin' pussy beater, And i'm the 'quicker-picker-upper" quick to pick up a bitch, So come here bitch and lick up the - lick up the - lick up the dick!...Back up bitch unless you want nut in your eye. I never never ever ever seen a bitch cry....Give 'em a tootsie roll and tell 'em 'thanks for the pussy hole!" I findum, fuckum and flee, you know?...Because if that bitch starts fuckin' up, yo, i'll just fuck her friend..."

Body Count is a lovely little ditty:

"...So what we really tryin to say is body count loves Everybody. we love mexican girls, black girls, oriental girls, It really dont matter. if you from mars, and you got a pussy, We will fuck you. you know, thats all were sayin, word...It aint like their men cant nut, Their dicks too little And they just cant fuck. So we get buck wild with the white freaks We show them how to really work the white sheets. I know her daddyll really be after me, When his grandsons named little ice-t..."

This is short and sweet:

"...I got no pick up lines / I stay on da grind / I tell da hoes all da time / Bitch, get in my car...”

I suppose my lack of melanin makes me unfit to comment on the words of the young black men who grew up in a world that I will never understand. But many self respecting black women have spoken out against the "hate speech" that is many rap songs. Grammy Award nominee Jill Scott is one of many decent, thoughtful and charming black ladies with the courage to speak up against all speech that degrades women, not just those stupid comments by some off the wall disc jockey.

And then there will be some who say that no one really takes these lyrics to heart. Have they forgotten what it was like to be a young person who listened to music over 50% of the time? Listening to the words of Springtseen, Dylan and even the Beach Boys, many people with whom I spent my time were moved in some way. When we were very young, the music helped mold us to some extent and there's no way that anyone can say that today's misogynist lyrics wouldn't push a kid over the edge without crossing his fingers behind his back. Young people specifically listen to this trash when they are blossoming into the men and women that they will soon be. I wouldn't want my kids inspired by someone who thinks of men and women as "niggaz and ho's".

Certainly the rappers have the right to tap into "where they come from" when creating thier "art". But wouldn't it be nice if they sang a bit about where they hope to go? Must the youth of today purposely head to the world that was a prison to the young men who rap? Rappers sing about a dreadful world and that world is somehow what innocent young people aspire to. Why would anyone want to hurt the youth of today so badly as to brainwash them into thinking that there's something heroic about being a thug? I think that America owes all of it's children more than that.

Meg

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh brother. So these college women, both black and white, need to back down because of what "rappers" do and say? That is a really unfair comparison, and very racist on YOUR part. This is not a black and white issue.
This was not a comment limited to black women. I heard part of a news conference today with the Rutgers team coach, and hope that you will search out the transcript. She spoke very well, and fluently. These are basketball players, college students, and women. They are not rappers. Just because the majority of them are black, they are not rappers. Do not put them in the same category. Do not judge them and all black people by what rappers do.
There are plenty of skinhead and KKK singing groups out there as well, yet you don't compare what all white people do to what they do!
I'd think that you would know better.

April 10, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I never even mentioned the women on the team. They had nothing to do with what I was discussing. I didn't compare them to anyone. I never lumped all of any group into a category...I just commented on a few things. I won't back down for fear of being called a racist and I wonder how you folks learn to turn everything you disagree with into something racist. I remember real racism and it's a good thing you were never a victim of it. I doubt that you could have handled it as gracefully as many did.

Meg

April 10, 2007  
Blogger Huddler said...

Thank God somebody has the courage to shout down this political correctness game that the media and race baiters like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton love to play.

April 10, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

You know what it is, it's honesty. Like it or not, agree with it or not, there are a LOT of people who feel like I do. And when you can speak the truth so easily, it's tough to argue with that. So, all that's left is the race baiting. Well, bring it on...hit me with your best shot...I know damn well that I am not a racist, and no one who knows me would suggest that I was even remotely like that. Once again, I remember real racism and people who just wanted to have an equal chance. So, if you want to call me racist, you'll have to quote the exact sentences where I have said something racist.

Thanks, Michael.

Meg

April 10, 2007  
Blogger Determined said...

ROTFLOL - What I would like to know is why didn't anyone protest when Donald Trump spoke negatively about those who are overweight?

Don't worry Meg - let the narrow minded people think and twist what they want to believe. You know perfectly well what you are and that's all that matters.

April 10, 2007  
Blogger Lara Croft said...

I have always found the word "ho" to be offensive, it shows a lack of respect for woman, be the black white purple or green.

April 10, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Lara, wouldn' it be nice if EVERYONE protected ALL women and not just their own? Women would form a more powerful group if we all stuck together. It's easier to beat us down one group at a time than it is to go up against all of us. The same goes for all Americans. What a shame that so many love to divide and conquer.

And Solaris, you're right, I DO know that I'm NOT a racist and there isn't a person on this planet who can make me feel that I am. So, they can all BLOW ME!

Meg

April 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg,

1) You begin with the the "some people" defense, to effect: "I'd wager most blacks and whites feel just like I do." So despite a universal outcry against Imus's comments, you feel certain that "honestly" everyone's on your side. How convenient.

2) You repeatedly insist that your rugged anti-PC bravery results in comments we "may not like" but cannot doubt the "veracity" of. Of course we can doubt their veracity. First of all, I don't in the least find this oaf's clumsy stab at humor funny. I don't get any sort of naughty thrill from it, and I don't "secretly" or "honestly" see any truth, joy, or use to it.

Secondly, there's absolutely no evidence to support the notion that a significant number of people feel differently. We live in a country and in an age that tolerates a vast range of free speech. Even if public personalities are often constrained to represent safe and conservative positions (the dreaded "PC"), the Internet and other media allow us each a full range of nearly unfettered expression. Surely if "most" people felt as you do, we'd see massive numbers or ordinary citizens supporting Imus. Do we?

Meg, your entire position rests on the notion that everyone who disagrees with you must be acting hypocritically -- because really they simply must *secretly* agree with you.

Of course. Who could argue with airtight logic like that?

But notably, I do admire what you say about freedom: "You need the amendment to protect unpopular speech...maybe even stupid speech."

And to that end, I think we should defend blogs like yours, and we should defend Imus's right to *personally* hold and express his opinions. However, those opposing Imus have as much right to their speech as Imus. Moreover, Imus was not acting in a *personal* way when making those comments. Those who pay Imus to perform a job are under no obligation to pay him if he represents them in a way they don't want to be represented. Those who advertise on his program may not wish to be associated with such views. Those who listen may no longer wish to listen because of what they've heard. Freedom of speech in America is gloriously pervasive, and the freedom to speak is accompanied by the right of others to speak against you. This is the capitalism of ideas.

jeremy

April 11, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I respectfully agree to disagree. I did say "some people", not all. But you're right about our right to speak out mind, and I'm always glad to read a thoughtful argument as opposed to a emotional tirade. thank you for that.

Meg

April 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home