.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Good morning!

I guess it's morning in part of the country...it's actually after noon here.

Whatever time it is, it's breakfast time and I just ate my Cocoa Pebbles. Those are good. My parents just had Cheerios, Wheaties, and Rice Krispies. I liked Rice Krispies...but with a lot of sugar in it. There were 6 of us so if Mom bought a box of Fruit Loops it would have been eaten in one day. You only eat Wheaties when you're hungry, you eat Fruit Loops because they're there.

One of the things I like about being an adult is that I can buy any cereal I want. Right now I have Cocoa Pebbles, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs, Cap'n Crunch and Honey Nut Cheerios. I can't see what's in back but I'm quite sure that it's not Sredded Wheat.

The government is trying to legislate how much sugar can be in kids cereal. I think the food police are going a bit too far. We don't feed our kids STRICTLY sugar...but a parent too stupid to know how to feed a kid a balanced diet has some more serious problems. Maybe dietary restriction is the least of their problems. Some food police group set the sugar content at less than 12 grams and then they bitch that Fruit Lopps eeked by at 11 grams. Are they saying that their OWN standards are too high? If not, why would they complain that Fruit Loops are too high at 11 grams? Assholes.

If you'd have told my grandparents that there would come a day when the government would try to control they food and it's content at restaurants and cereal companies, they would roll over in their graves. This is so frickin' ridiculous. Things are changing and changing fast. Some of the changes are good...you wouldn't believe the places that people would smoke just 20 years ago. My ex carried one wherever he wen't. Not Rick, a different ex. When it came into law that you couldn't carry lit cigarettes everywhere you went, I sent a huge "I TOLD YOU SO!" to him by ESP. He didn't believe me that it was wrong...even though people carried them a lot, he took it to the extreme.

But most of the laws they try to pass are so arbitray and they (the politicians) do it because they want to look good, not because it's actually good for us to be treated like children. They've covered the biggies...no killing, stealing or arson. Now what? They justify their continued existence by making such silly laws whether we need them or not. I just want to smack these nimrods...don't you?

It seems as though the ONLY freedom we'll have is freedom of religion and everywhere you look, religion is pretty much being phased out as an authority of any sort. The family was phased out years ago when the government started paying women to lose the father of her children. The role and nature of the father has been reduced to that of a joke. Television played a huge role in that little ploy.

I've stood in front of buildings a thousand years old and marveled in the beauty and the contruction of places like Notre Dame and catherdrals all over Europe. Castles like Hever Castle are simply stunning and they leave you feeling an amazing sense of approbation for the skill and the broad base of knowledge that such accomplishments require. I stood in awe looking at the round pegs that they used as nails of some sort. Someone had to make the NAILS! That looked like quite a chore in itself.

I looked at Big Ben, the buildings of Parliament, Westminster Cathedral, Buckingham Palace, St. Pauls Cathedral and so many others. I was flabbergasted by their capacity to imagine and accomplish such astonishingly long-lasting yet delicate undertakings.

In southern Scotland and northern England, there have been a lot of border wars. Many of the buildings there have been, a long, long, long time ago, destroyed by one skirmish or another. But you can tell by whats left of the buildings that had they not been so violently attacked, they would still be standing. I wondered how these people were able to accomplish so much with so few tools.

Anyway, I eventually came home and American life took over again. But, still, I would find myself back in Europe, staring at the stupendous workmanship of those northern Europeans. I wondered how they managed it and how many years it must have taken to complete any one of those amazing buildings which are still, hundreds of years later... still standing.

Months after my return from Europe, we had a hideous ice storm. The power was out all over the Southeast for days.

Of course that meant that we had no TV. The Christmas before the ice storm, I bought my son a small, portable television. It had a 2x2 inch TV screen and it could be held in your hand. I remember our entire family of 4 (I wish I had my family back HERE in this house where they belong...I'd settle for 2.) sitting on the couch trying to get a look at that tiny screen. That's when it hit me...those people from the Middle-Ages were able to build such wonderful buildings because they didn't have television. I think we should all get rid of our televisions.

There wasn't very much available to us as children back in the 60's and we spent our times outside playing. Play is important for all ages...from the time that an infant stares at red balls hanging from a mobile to the time that adults play behind closed doors. Age-appropriate play is a VERY important component of a healthy person's social, mental and emotional development. Our kids don't play much anymore because of any one of a hundred television related activities.

A thousand years ago people who had comparatively no tools to speak of accomplished so very much more than we do when we have so many tools at our disposal. Oh well, maybe someone will develop a bomb that only kills the TV'S.

Meg

Now I'll fix this post...draft one

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home