.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I know that I'm...

...relatively normal and the feelings that I have are probably pretty close to the feelings that most women have. I read somewhere that women become more comfortable with their bodies as they get older. I don't understand it, but for a LOT of women, it seems to be true. But, apparently not all of them:

Wish I could be that comfortable with my body- for me the Meg equation of age hasn't worked but I work on it.

Have you considered the possiblity that you just aren't old eough to feel that way? Maybe you will in time.

When I was in my early 20's, I was ashamed of any part of my body that wasn't perfect. I would hide my boobs because after nursing 3 kids I didn't think they were any good anymore. They were just fine, as they are now...just not perfect. And who wants to be perfect?

I don't know when it happened, but one day I just noticed that I wasn't turning the lights off anymore, I didn't cover my boobs anymore and I started walking around naked and no guy ever left because of that. Guys aren't perfect either and if one is attracted to you just because of your body, he isn't worth keeping. This lady said it quite well:

The world would like us to think we shouldn't be happy unless we are blond, big boobed, and a size 2. I am 42 and have just recently become comfortable in my own skin...regardless of what anyone else might think.

That is so true. We have very young girls developing eating disorders because they aren't built like Pamela Sue Anderson. What they don't realize is that women like that live their entire life trying to keep that body perfect and then they attract men who wouldn't be around if the chick wasn't built like that. Who in the world wants a guy like that? And, when I lost all of that weight, I was a size zero...and I HATED it! I couldn't gain an ounce to save my life. If it weren't for the Marinol, I'd still be 90 pounds if not smaller and there's nothing at all fun about looking anorexic.

None of us are ever totally happy with our own bodies, even the so called "perfect" chicks feel inadequate in some way and that's a shame. And, the grass is always greener!!! Here's an example:

I'd love to have boobs. Can we take some fat from my ass and migrate it northwards?

How about this idea...you give me some of your ass and I'll give you some of my boobs and then we'll both be happy...until I take a look at my long, skinny legs. Then I'll have to find someone who needs backfat and I'll exchange that for some thighs. Of course, it is sad that so much of our self worth is based on such superficial stuff:

I'm not sure why anyone should feel ashamed or have no self-esteem based on what they weigh.

That's SOOOOO true. What an arbitrary facet of a human being to place their own value upon! If I were a guy, I would rather have a bright, funny and happy woman than a stupid chick built like Pamela Sue. And what a shame that some people take their own imperfections and let them affect their own happiness.

And you know, the Lady in Red wouldn't have posted that picture if she didn't KNOW that there absolutely ARE men who love big women. I've known a couple of them myself. And I think that this lady was saying the exact same thing here:

Sexuality isn't about how good you look in a negligee, it's about how you feel in your heart...it's about confidence. I'd imagine there is someone who loves her exactly as she is, which makes her feel beautiful enough to be comfortable to pose for pictures like that.

And, on top of that...this lady is quite right when she says:

I used to think that pretty women had a better time of life, and then it occurred to me that pretty women are constantly sexualized by every man they ever meet.

I wonder how many men actually want to spend the rest of their lives with a perfect women? I remember a song that went something like this:

"...If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife, from a personal point of view, get an ugly girl to marry you!..."

I guess men feel the same way that we do, if their significant other is great looking, they would worry that others might entice their perfect love away from them. But then again, Rick wasn't particularly handsome but he never seemed to be at a loss when it came to finding women who would sleep with him...bald, goofy looking AND married. So, there goes my entire arguement. Oh well.

After working all night, I feel the need to go to bed now so I believe that I shall do just that. I'll be back after I wake up and in the meantime, have a great day!

Meggers

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this entry. Before my mom passed away she told me that my 40s would be a wonderful change in my life. And how right she was. I am not perfect..I still have too much fat in places...but..I no longer care. This is me...take it or leave it.
And..shocking to me...men respond to my confidence. Many men have told me that a self assured woman with a great sense of humor has more appeal than someone who only has beauty going for them.
As women we need to appreciate ourselves for the total package...not concentrate on the parts we don't like.
Anyway...good entry...interesting topic.

Tracie

October 03, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Exactly...the kind of men that I would be attracted to would be those who have that attitude. I don't enjoy superficial people at all...male or female.

:):):)

October 03, 2007  
Blogger akakarma said...

FYI Meg- I am 50 this year. I'm one of those people who could wear a bikini until I was 42, then I had a baby and couldn't lose the weight! I was never happy with my body even when it was good so how can I start now. It's nothing to do with anyone else- male or female- it's just a self esteem thing, part of the burning thread of socialization I happened to swallow! On the other hand, I haven't worn a stitch of makeup or fussed with my hair for many years and don't miss the beauty product binges at all.I love the clothes I'm comfortable in, always have, thin or heavy. I like the posting about it's not how you look, it's how you feel- so true!

October 03, 2007  
Blogger Eliza Doolittle said...

I was a great deal more self conscious as a child than I am today. I never ever wore a two piece, or a sleeveless shirt, or a dress as a kid or teenager - I was convinced I looked like a mutant.

My first trip to Panama City Beach convinced me that if truly large people felt ok in a thong, then I could wear a bikini!

Seriously, though, I don't give a rats ass anymore. It IS hard to be so naked when you are next to "perfect" looking women. I'm short waisted (as in, I have none) with long legs and no torso, so I spend a lot of time "body shopping". I'm still relatively thin, but everyone in my family is large - so I work to keep on the slender side. It's hard.

But...the older I get, the less I give a shit about fat. I care more about grey hair, and weird hair (like...nipple hair, and chin hair). WTF is up with nipple hair?

October 04, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Well, as a nurse, I know the answer to that but I'd rather not discuss it. :) But, it's the same reason that women have as many heart attacks as men AFTER they go through the change.

I don't have any nipple hair, but I have been shaving my toes lately.

:):):)

October 04, 2007  
Blogger Eliza Doolittle said...

I have had grey hair since I was 17 and I dye that crap as soon as it bothers me.

The nipple hair? I have ONE...and I pluck it everytime it's long enough to pluck. Seriously!

Toe hair! LOL! Have that too...started to look like a hobbit!

October 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home