.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Hello you guys!!!

You would NOT believe everything that I went through to get to you today!

First, my computer broke yesterday. It was getting no power. I don't know why and I don't care why and I don't have enough money to get it fixed, considering that I don't even know what's wrong with it. I called the puter people in India and the chick tried to sell me a 2 week warranty (mine is expired) that would fix any and all software problems that I might have. So much for the people who made the dumb thing.

I don't know much about computers but I don't THINK that a total lack of power is a "software problem" and I didn't want to pay fifty bucks to find that out. So, I hung up.

Next I called Circuit City, that's where I bought the computer in the first place. I started talking to the tech and at one point he said the word "motherboard". That's all I needed to hear. There was nothing that I could do to fix that thing and I know damn well I can't afford a fricking motherboard...even if I could I'd have to put it in myself because I couldn't afford the labor. I don't have teeny tiny butter knifes so I couldn't unscrew the old one much less screw in the new one. And something tells me there's more to putting one of those in than a few tiny screws. Something would have to hook up to something else, otherwise it would just be a wall hanging for the inside of my computer.

Next, I had company over and the mother tried to help me fix it. She couldn't do it so she tried to hook my old computer back up. Windows came up and I figured that I could install the Internet thingie myself so we left it at that and I went back t0 playing with kids. Before I went to bed, I interviewed a family for an article that I should have been working on but I couldn't because my stupid computer was dead.

This morning I woke up and went straight to the computer at about 6 and by 9 I still hadn't gotten Windows to stay up long enough to do anything before it said, "You must now turn off your computer". As bad as that was the first 50 times, it was ever so much worse the last 50 times. It reminded me why I bought the new puter in the first place.

I couldn't do anything before 9 except repeat the same things over and over again. I unplugged and replugged every plug on both computers. I accomplished a bad mood, nothing else. As it got close to 9 I started running through my options.

If I had to, I could have always gone to the library. But that wouldn't really work too well because I would be too uncomfortable to fart at will. If you can't fart out loud, you certainly can't write about anything worth reading...you must be totally open if you want to touch your readers...and that requires that you be able to fart at will.

So, the library became my last resort. I thought about how many people I know who have spare computers who would be happy to loan me one...but how do you ask someone for something like that? You can't really borrow a cup of computer, you pretty much need the whole thing. And think about it, unless I could TELL people that I had no computer, they couldn't even OFFER me one of theirs. I needed a computer to get the word out. Heck, I needed a computer to get to look on eBay, Craigslist and FreeCycle.

I even considered Rent-A-Center but...and this is shocking...they don't actually RENT things! They sell them. If I wanted to rent a computer for a week or so, I would have to buy the whole damn thing. That was disheartening.

Then I thought of pawn shops. I called one and the guy said that they had some for a hundred bucks. He said there was nothing wrong with them, they were just old. That sounded fine, now I just needed to GET to the pawn shop. So, I called a cab and Mohammad took me to the pawn shop.

We got to the pawn shop (it was nice, not at all how I pictured a pawn shop in my head) and I took one look at the puter for a hundred bucks and said, "I'll take it." They stuck it in a box and I wrote a check for money that wasn't in my account and came home.

I got the puter hooked up and after a really, really long time, I got online. Then, I had to run to the bank and stick a check in there so that the one I wrote didn't bounce.

So, here I am on a totally different puter at the other desk, the other monitor is where it's always been and there are three computers sitting around me. I have at least two articles that I should almost be done with and I'll certainly get to them. But right now I am simply exhausted and I feel the need to lie on my couch and space.

Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg, Buy a Mac.
TW

May 18, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home