.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Well, "Meg", you might ask....

..."Just how long was Rick supposed to stay with you?"

Well, let me put it this way: If you asked me where I saw myself in about a hundred years, my answer would have been something like this:



Yes, I actually foresaw a time when we would spend eternity near each other rotting in our graves. Isn't that romantic? You don't often find someone with whom you are prepared to rot. Alas.

Well, I guess I'll have to rot alone. Do you ever wonder about graves and what's in them? I do. I've been to some pretty cool cemeteries. I went to Arlington of course and Gettysburg and they have one here in Marietta that was started in the Civil War.

Last week I found one in Roswell that had people from the early 1800's. It was pretty cool.

Once when I was a kid, 14 I think, I was playing in an old cemetery down the street from my house. I lived on Church Road, named after the ten churches on the two mile road, some of them were old German churches that had old cemeteries full of the early settlers of the town, Bensenville.

Scary places for sure, and we had to go to them on Halloween. 14 year old girls like to scare each other. I had one friend that loved to be scared so I scared her, and I was pretty creative. Later I found out that she went into a psychiatric hospital and that I hadn't helped matters one bit. Who knew? I just thought she was a normal 14 year old. But, I guess normal is relative.

So, she was in the cemetery that night when I laid down in a grave with a huge oak leaf in my hands, clasped over my chest. One of my friends screamed and pointed at the headstone above me and then they all did the same. I jumped up and saw the name "Margaret" on the headstone. Nothing else, just the name, "Margaret". Of course, we ran home screaming. We did a lot of that.

Don't you think we should come uo with a better idea than cemeteries? I think at the very least we should just have big gardens of flowers that grow well with people dirt. Then, you could just keep adding a bunch more people as the years went by. If your husband was a drunk, you could pick a flower that grows well in the presence of alcohol.

I don't like the thought that cemeteries are only kept nice for a relatively short time before they fall into disrepair. I saw a few headstones in a corner formed by fences at an entrance ramp to a highway. These people were rarely even noticed by the thousands of commuters that drove past them in the course of a day. The rest of the cemetery had obviously been purchased and moved...I imagined one family that wouldn't give in and left their parents in traffic.

Anyway, I would rather be a garden, wouldn't you? Things change pretty fast, especially if you hang around long enough and see enough places. The house that my great-grandfather grew up in back in the days of blacksmiths and horses, was now on a large corner at a very busy intersection in Roanoke, Virginia. The house had enough land in front of it to end up at that large intersection. My great grandfather, Papaw, as we called him, had been a blacksmith at one time. Imagine his surprise when they invented cars. He didn't form a union and bitch, he became a carpenter instead.

I was lucky enough to know a few of my great grandparents and they never got divorces. But, my great grandmother, widowed by her first husband, had always been married to Grandpa Frank as far as I knew.

But when Granny died and her funeral card (whatever they call those things) had a different name than Frank's and I had always known her to use his name. I mentioned it to my mother who told me that, for tax purposes or social security, I forget, they couldn't afford to get married. They were just a couple of old people who lived together, back in the 60's when most old people were whining about the numbers of people who lived together in sin. I asked my mom, "So, they were living in sin?" And she responded, "Well...I don't know how much "sin" they were capable of, but yeah, I guess they were."

Mom had to answer in a way that neither made her grandmother look bad nor did it make living together look good. I guess she did alright. I was pretty much afraid of her until I realized that I had 6 inches on her and could have snapped her like a twig. I think she and I both realized it at the same time. She was yelling at me and came so close to me that the height difference was exaggerated. I backed up onto one step of the flight of stairs that led to my bedroom and the difference was exaggerated even more. We were eye to eye and I was pretty sure that we were on the same page. But...I knew better than to push it and to be honest, when she lost it, she was pretty frightening. She chased me through a bowling alley one night and I made the mistake of running into the Girl's Room. She cornered me there and somehow refrained from doing a Rodney King on me...just long enough to get me home anyway.

When she got me home that night, in the privacy of the living room save the only witnesses, younger siblings. I was to be a made an example of so they weren't about to talk. Then, she sent me upstairs to my father and he got a go at me too. I remember thinking that it was dreadfully unfair to be spanked twice for the same offense. How much worse could it get? I might as well have robbed a bank, kids didn't get arrested back then. The cops just took you home where your parents beat the crap out of you. No muss, no fuss.

Well, I'm gonna go act like it's daylight, see ya.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home