.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Meg,

"...My dear Meg, you must be rescued from your technophobia..."

It isn't a phobia...that's what I have when a spider comes along. I'm just stubborn and resistant to change. I only got the computer to write on so that I didn't lose the crap I was writing. Rick got the online stuff because he likes cyber-sex.

Well, I guess I am one of the "idiots" that does not have a cell phone.

I'm not sure, but I don't think I called anyone an idiot. I call people nit wits. But...only if I LIKE them. People I don't like are jack asses.

Holy crap JQ75, she STILL wants your ass! Sorry, I can't cover it, you are on your own now!

No one ever said that my wanting his ass was a BAD THING! I've been cyber flirting with JQ for a very long time now...and I'm STILL waiting for him to show up at my place to show me how to work my computer.

Oh JQ - please don't drag me into this.

Drag you into WHAT? I think the hostility went right over MY head. I thought it was all joking around. Sniff.

OK so we have that taken care of. As for your last request, we can go over that via email. ;-) :-)

You're place or mine?

OK, cyber peace. I never said that people who use technology were idiots...I just said that the kids depend too much on it for their fun. They should use their own creativity a bit more. I've had cell phones for certain jobs, I even had a blackberry for one. I just don't need one for personal use. My PC is a one stop shopping place for all of my techno-needs.

Even at work, I get annoyed at all the new versions of old stuff. I like the old way of taking a blood pressure, with my stethoscope and my sphygmomanometer. They've "improved" all of the equipment that we use and NONE of it is easier, it's like the retractable T-bird convertables, just more stuff to go wrong. And, they're all unnecessarily confusing.

Oh, by the way, to the person who wrote the post that I didn't understand about third world countries, I put myself through college. My parents had 3 sons to put through college and the girls "were gonna get pregnant anyway" so why pay for them to go to school? It's a matter of "you can do anything that you want to do, with one catch...you have to want to do it badly enough."

OK now....I have to shower and do one last cleaning of Dad's condo and then I'm off to the airport. Airport drop offs are always a toss up with my father. He loves to get there with just enough time left over for me to run through the airport with my luggage shouting, "Hold that plane!"

I keep thinking that if I get an early start, I'll make it with time to walk to the plane. Oh well, here I go again.

Meg

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

****Oh, by the way, to the person who wrote the post that I didn't understand about third world countries, I put myself through college. My parents had 3 sons to put through college and the girls "were gonna get pregnant anyway" so why pay for them to go to school? It's a matter of "you can do anything that you want to do, with one catch...you have to want to do it badly enough."****

Hi Meg, That post was written to show the reality of life in a third world country, because a previous poster mentioned 'growing up in a third world' country or something to that effect. But that post is a real life situation and no, sorry, it doesn't work that way in other parts of the world "If you want to do it badly etc." There is no source of income Meg, no source. I know it is hard to imagine. There is no jobbing anywhere to put yourself through college because there are no jobs, scholarships are far and few and belong to kids whose fathers are Rotarians or Lions or whatever else they carve out for themselves. Which brings another though to mind....the welfare system in first world countries....it kills self-will (is there such a word?) If you don't have it to feed your 7 kids then you are going to get up off your ass and find a way to feed your 7 kids and that usually means buying and selling cheap consumer goods at the side of the road or in the town's center. This topic could be discussed to frazzles but if you have not lived the life in one of these places then you cannot sit in a cosy chair and voice an opinion without having ever seen the lifes of these people.

May 21, 2007  
Blogger JQ75 said...

OK, tech-resistant then. While in central Florida, I saw something they called a "housekeeping spider" (looked like a baby tarantula) that ate "palmetto bugs". They both were kinda creepy, I was glad to live in a northern climate where they don't survive.

Littlewing missed our history. Meg, when I clear up this legal thing that has me in court every week, you are just likely to get that phone call that precedes my visit. Who knows after a visit from me some of my tech-advocacy might rub off on you. ;-) :-)

May 21, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I do understand the fact that anyone with a skill would leave a third world country ASAP...my problem isn't that there's no jobs to feed the 7 kids...it's that they even HAVE 7 kids in the first place. We know what causes that. When I was 15, I had a "foster child" in South America that I sent money to every month. through that Children's Christian Fund...those guys are STILL begging for help. IF cthey6 would have passes out birth control pills in the 70's, they might have an occasional steak dinner. They sit there starving, just waiting for the next concert to feed the hungry. I feel badly for any child who's hungry...I'm not hateful. But, I do think that if we really, really tried, we could slow down that population growth. Educated people are the only people on the planet who practice birth control. That's not good for the future.

Oh well, not in my lifetime.

Meg

May 21, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

.the welfare system in first world countries....it kills self-will (is there such a word?)

Yes, there is. And it certainly does. The government wants to do it all for us so that we don't depend on each other anymore...just the powers that be. Frightening.

Meg

May 21, 2007  
Blogger Determined said...

Hostility? hostility??!! Who ever mentioned *beeep* hostility?? Dammit, I NEVER get *beeep* hostile!

**pounds fists on desk, overturns keyboard, and throws a glass of water against the wall**

WHO THE *beeeeeep* said *beeeep* anything about *beeeeeep* hostile??? dammmit *beeeeeeeeeeeeep*!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Blogger. We are experiencing some technical difficulty, please stand by

May 21, 2007  
Blogger JQ75 said...

I forgot to mention, a "palmetto bug" looks like a big cockroach. Meg, since you've been to Florida, do you know the answer? I think they just use that word (palmetto) because it sounds better than "huge cockroach".

So those could be phobias, I just said technophobia cause it sounds cool.

I gotta get down to see you and get your tech stuff up to snuff. Once it's working right you really can grow to like it, it can be handy, it can be your friend. When you can't get it to work, I'd agree that it can be frustrating. Since my career has been in technology, I have had reasonable luck bending it to my will.

May 21, 2007  
Blogger JQ75 said...

And the welfare system for the third world (world bank) is busy boosting his girlfriends salary rather than providing true help to projects that could improve their lot.

And the first world countries are busy exploiting cheap labor in the third world by outsourcing all the first world jobs offshore.

If they could find a way to do that for nursing they would. They digitize xrays and send them to India to be read by their doctors to save a buck or two, meanwhile 3/4 of the Indian people couldn't get an xray read for their own injuries.

It's all about greed and corruption.

May 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home