.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

I'm here...

...and I just woke up. I was up for over 30 hours straight. I worked Tuesday night and then went to the airport. I took a flight to Charlotte, missed my connecting flight to Tampa (because my stupid watch was still on daylight savings time and I didn't realize that it was an hour fast) so I waited until the next flight and got to Tampa at 7:30. I went to bed when I got here and my Dad woke me up at noon.

Now I'm cooking a steak for steak and eggs. My father ran out to the store and I'm in the back room hoping that I don't burn the steak. I should go check it...BRB.

OK, I'm back. The steak is on low so it shouldn't burn.

My dad and I have been having a political discussion. He asked his sister if she thought that affirmative action should end...ever. She said, that yes, it should end at some point. My father asked her if now would be a good time and she said, "Oh no...not now."

I find it interesting that liberals call conservatives a bunch of rich people who don't want to pay taxes. Well, I think it's sad that people buy that bullshit. Who are the biggest liberals that you know? A bunch of rich movie stars who could afford to give half of their money to the taxman and STILL have millions leftover. I don't understand why people buy that crap...it's amazing how stupid people can be.

Conservatives don't make that many millions of dollars so when they pay taxes...it hurts a bit. They get a tad annoyed when people talk about taking their cash and giving it to others who could work, but choose not to.

I heard that Harry Belefaonte, Bono and a few others have some sort of concert every year for the hungry in Africa. Those people know that the money will be there every year so they wait for it to come before they eat again. It's like the rainy seaon for animals who thrive during the rain. The people don't bother trying to learn any other way to eat because they know that if they can make it until the next concert, they can eat well for a while. It'd be nice if Bono and his ilk would take that money and teach these folks how to grow their own food.

Remember that saying about giving a man food feeding him for a day and teaching him to grow his own will feed him for a lifetime? Well, maybe it's time to teach these people how to grow food.

My father's ex-wife mentioned a great Ethiopian restaurant down the street. Ethipopeans eat bugs and grass...why would I want to eat Ethiopean food? If the manager of the restaurant has food, he should send it back to his cousins who are starving back home...they're sick of bugs. He shouldn't be in America hawking his wares, he should be home feeding his people.

Oh well, what can you do? Personally, I'm not eating Ethiopean food...teh Ethiopean's need it too much and besides, the Chinese have me totally covered. I LOVE that stuff.

OK, I need to go scramble the eggs for my Daddy.

See ya shortly!

Meg

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day."

May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful visit with your father! And I feel the same way about Ethiopean coffee, at close to $12 a pound why are there so many starving people? They should put back to the community!

May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ethiopian food is great.
Have you been to Africa Meg? No?? Then how can you speak about the problems there?
It would be nice if Africans COULD grow their own food - but drought and flooding (depending on the areas in question) do not allow that.
It would be nice if AIDS and rape of children (thought to cure aids, by some) were not prevalant.
It would be nice if birth control were provided, encouraged, and widely used.
But I'm sorry - you obviously know so much more than the rest of us about Africa.

May 17, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I know enough not to live in a fricking DESERT and then whine that there's no food. And, I know how to avoid pregnancy. None of this is African..it's relatively easy shit. You must be one of those nit wits who send food to people who can't afford to feed the children but somehow find ways to have MORE of them. Send them a box of rubbers next time.

Meg

May 17, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

And by the way...I LOVE Ethiopean coffee and I've bought enough to buy a LOT of condoms.

:):):)

May 17, 2007  
Blogger JQ75 said...

Somehow I doubt very much of that Ethiopian coffee expense makes it back to the average Ethiopian.

And Littlewing is hanging around the wrong men. LOL.

Don't you just love the hit and run of anon commenters. I wonder if they've been there, or could find the country on the map, or enlighten us on their culture, customs, or why the food is great. I'm guessing there is a wide disparity between the native citizen food that Meg would have no part of and what is served in the US restaurants that purport to be serving that country's cuisine.

So if annon hasn't been to Ethiopia how does he know of their problems? International media perhaps? I think some enterprising guy named Turner started that in Meg's backyard quite some time ago.

May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I just add here that the reason Ethiopians are not enjoying the fruit of their labour is because the Japanese probably own their coffee industry, just like they own the coffee industry in other areas of the world. Yes, it will the asian who are going to eat all the food that this world produces the ocean is already near empty. Japanese and Chinese trawlers are fishing empty the waters of Africa and South America.
Ethiopians produce a grain called TEF(?) apparently a very nutritious grain. They made the mistake of publicly attributing this grain to the reason why they are able to run long distances and win great races. Now the Europeans are taking their grain away from them, paying them pennies for 'trademark' seeds and selling TEF bread in European bakeries. Monsanto(?) will soon take care of all that!
We need to look at the real issues here as to why Africans are short of food. I agree with the other Anon about droughts, war etc. It is not a matter of being able to eat after a concert or not knowing how to farm their own foods. There are greater issues here.

May 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why yes. I was in the peace corp for many years - so I am familiar with areas in Africa. I am familiar with cuisines both there and that sold here.
It would be great if Africans could simply buy a plane ticket and a new condo and get out of the desert. Like those children CHOSE to be born there.
Oh Meg - your ignorance is not charming - and you certainly uphold the naive and spoiled american stereotype.
I wonder where you'd be, had you been born in a third world country?
Maybe the world would be better off.

May 18, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Boo hoo...you'll just have to deal with it. I was born to parents bright enough to live in a nice lush green place where corn grows and the deer and the antelope play. They didn't find the boats on a hill somewhere, they chopped down trees and made the boats by themselves. One way or another, you still don't keep having babies when you can't feed yourself...that doesn't take any cash, it doesn't require an airplane ticket, it doesn't even require a condom...it just requires you NOT to fuck the chicks in the neighboring tribe.

You can insult me all you want, I've been insulted by people better than you at it and I'm sure I will be again. Have fun...you may now explain why I'm wrong and the people who keep having babies that have no food and flies all over them are right. Carry on.

:):):)

May 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Meg was born in a so-called 'third world' country, she would have studied hard in school. Her mother, a single parent, would probably have sold farmed produce in a market, or worked as a domestic helper to put her very ambitious daughter through school and college so as to prevent her having to take the same work as mother. I suspect Meg has 5 younger siblings and an older brother who works as a car mechanic to help mom financially, now and again. Then Meg would go to nursing school and become a nurse and shortly before her studies were about to end, a barrage of American/Canadian and British representatives would come to that third world country and hold 'work in the USA' immigrate to a first world country meetings, interviews etc. (Your lives will be better and we didn't pay for your education, nor will we renumerate your mom, meetings). Then graduation comes and Meg has earned a bachelor's degree in Nursing and now proudly wearing a RN button on her uniform, she is handed her newly obtained green-card or work contract for America and Meg would become a Nurse in the USA....like she is today. Only, it was all paid for by her single mom working hard to sell produce at the market or working as a domestic helper in order to give her daughter a better life.
Meg is no longer available to work in the building of her country, to educate her people about family planning, nor is she available for work in outreach programmes in far away villages to teach public health and basic hygiene practices to the utterly poor people of her country. Meg is now working in Canada, America or Britain.

May 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home