.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Good morning!

I just woke up at 4:30 AM and I have no clue what day it is…I don’t even know when I fell asleep. As soon as I feel up to it I’m going to look into suing the doctor that I saw at the ER the day this stupid crap first happened to me.

As I said, the last thing that I remember was paying for the doctor’s visit and then I went to fill out some paperwork. I was sent to the ER and the Dr. was treating me as though I was insane. He had called a psych doctor in who couldn’t get me to answer his questions because they had sedated me. Luckily my son was there to tell the other doctor that I was sedated, not insane. I was trying to refuse treatment, which I have every right to do. The ER doctor 1013’d me which is what we do to patients who are hurting themselves or someone else. I was tied to the bed and not a bit happy about that.

They eventually let me go home and I wasn’t there for any length of time before the hospital called and said that I had to come back to the ER. The doctors had missed something on the MRI that was found by another doctor the next day. I told the lady who called me what happened the night before and she assured me that they wouldn’t be tying me down…they would just treat me. Then, I got to the hospital and the neuro-surgeons at that hospital couldn’t handle the problem so they sent me to Emory which is where they send patients who have problems that are so rare that the regular docs don’t know what to do. I used to work there and when I did, I saw illnesses that I’ve never seen before. Now I WAS one of those people with one of those illnesses.

I couldn’t believe that a doctor at MY job 1013’d me…it doesn’t look good on a resume. That idiot doctor said that I had “torn up the doctor’s office”. I believed him because I didn’t think that a doctor would lie about that. But, when I called the doctor’s office the lady who found me in the waiting room told me that I hadn’t been the least bit violent…I just stared into space. As soon as I feel well enough I’m going to go get the medical records so that I can see who first said that I was violent. No one said that they saw me act violently…they all said that they were told that I had been violent. Not one person said they actually SAW any such behavior.

As disappointing as it was to have the doctor be so wrong…I was even more disappointed that the nurses listened to him. A nurse is supposed to be a patient’s advocate and not one person advocated for me one little bit. They wanted to get a urine sample and wouldn’t let me pee in a cup…they insisted that the nurses catheterize me to get the urine. Of course my urine was positive for THC because I take Marinol for my appetite. They didn’t ask me what drugs I took…they just assumed that I was a drug addict or something like that. When they were trying to cath me, one asshole fat nurse was pulling my leg so far to the side that I had to tell her to “take her massive weight off of me”. These are people that work at the same place that I work, in the exact same position that I hold.

I’ve always said that I learned more about nursing as a patient than I ever learned in college…now I’ve had a huge learning experience. I have the right to refuse medical care, just like anyone else does. I didn’t want to be treated by that doctor because he was obviously totally ignorant of what was going on with me that day. At one point he said that if I didn’t do what he said, he would tie me down. That’s considered assault and when they actually tied me down that was considered battery. So…I’m going to call some attorneys today.

If my son wasn’t there that night I WOULD have been put into a locked psych unit. He told me that the psych doctor was about the sign me in to the nuthouse when my son told him that I wasn’t nuts, I was sedated. Then that doc let my son try to wake me up. I woke up enough to answer the questions that the psych guy wanted me to answer so he said that I could go home. Since I wasn’t nuts and they couldn’t find anything else wrong, they let me go home. Then, the real doctors came in and looked at my MRI. That’s when they realized that I had a medical problem, not a psych or drug problem. Thank God for that doctor…my own work would have believed that I was nuts if they hadn’t found the cav-mal the next day. Now all I need is an attorney to take my case and I’ll be golden.

Can you imagine? I had bled out into my brain and the idiot doctor there was treating me as though I was a drug addict or a nutcase. I guess I’m lucky that I was at the doctor’s office when that happened…if it had happened anywhere else who knows what would have happened? Oh well, at least I know what’s wrong now…but every time my head hurts I’m afraid that my brain is exploding again.

Last night I started to do my nails and then I decided to just have them done at the new nail salon down the street. The one that I used to go to has gotten pretty bad so I want to try the new one. I think I’ll get one of those American manicures…they look so much more natural than the French manicures. I haven’t had my nails done lately because when I’m working I just like to keep them trimmed and clean. But, since I’ve been in the hospital I haven’t bothered with them at all. Sometime today I’ll go have them done.

OK then…now I’m going to suck some coffee down to wake me up. Then I’ll start to clean the house up a bit and hopefully I’ll start to feel normal again. I have the release that the docs signed to say when I could go back to work so I have to get that to my job. Also, I have to figure out what bills I have to pay. I haven’t paid the rent yet either so I’ll take care of that. Before I fell asleep I saw an airplane ticket to LA that was cheap enough for me to buy with the AirTran credit that I have from a flight I missed to Florida. I should have bought the ticket when I saw it but I had no clue that I would fall asleep for so long. I have a feeling the great price that I saw is gone now.

Well, I guess I should go try to act like I’m healthy. I’ll be back after I wake up, clean the kitchen and shower. See ya soon!

Meg

6 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

What a terrible experience. I'm glad your son arrived when he did. I can't believe they tied you down!

August 01, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Neither can I. I remember that...completely. The doc ordered them to tie me down simply because I refused to pee in a cup. I wanted to go home but I wasn't violent in the least. I simply refused treatment which I have every right to do. The jack ass doctor had no right whatsoever to force me to accept treatment. I never, ever behaved violently after I came to. I remember everything that happened once I came around and that doctor simply tied me down so that they could obtain urine against my will and then made a judgement based on that urinalysis without asking me what meds I was on. The more I think about it, the angrier I get.

August 01, 2007  
Blogger Pandora said...

This is EXACTLY why I hate Doctors, they are so eccentric that they can't fathom the idea in the fat arrogant minds that they could possibly be wrong! I would be so pissed, especially since my coworkers could find out about it. You have my deepest condolences.

August 01, 2007  
Blogger akakarma said...

You sue his ass off! There is so much discrimination against psych patients- not that you were Miss Meg- but even if you were! Geez! There was an article in the paper recently citing ER abuse of psych pts- one guy got his arm broken when he refused to take his shirt off and they forced him. It makes me steaming mad! Glad you're on the other side Meg. Why didn't your PCP call the ER ahead so they would know you were coming?

August 01, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

The PCP DID call ahead. I spoke to the office lady who found me and she's the one who said that I was just staring off into space. I told her that they told me that I "tore the office up" and she said that nothing like that happened at all. I'm going to wait until I get the records from the medical records office and see where the accusations of violence first appeared. I don't remember what happened at the office but the office people told me that I was not in the least bit violent. I do remember the hospital and I didn't do anything but refuse care from the doctor who was accusing me of being nuts. That leaves the EMT guys. If they didn't see me act violently then there is not one single person who could have possibly seen me behave at all agitated. But...no one ever said that I was violent in the ambulance...they all said it happened in the doctor's office. I just found the discharge sheet from the ER. The diagnosis on that said "agitation". It also said that I was to follow up with mental health care.

So, basically, I had a stroke and stared off into speace and the idiot doctor at the ER mistook it for AGITATION!

August 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, I wonder if they got you mixed up with another call in! So, the one in the corner ripping his hair out? He probably was invited to run the hospital!

August 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home