.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, July 30, 2007

I’m baa-aack!!!

The first doctor that I saw today told me that I would probably go home tomorrow or the next day and then another doc came in and said that I could leave today if I felt up to it. I told him that I would probably get much more rest at home so he let me out. Between the nurses sticking me for blood sugars or some such bothersome chore and the phone constantly ringing, I wasn’t getting much respite at all anyway.

I really hated not being able to blog…I couldn’t write it out manually and I didn’t want to put my daughter out anymore than I had to. Anyway, I’m glad to be back at my desk. You guys were right…I don’t make for a good patient. Doctors and nurses are bad patients…but for good reason. We know what you’re doing and if we do the same thing differently (and chances are we DO execute any given task somewhat differently), there could be trouble. It’s never really serious trouble…but it’s never very delightful either.

Over the next week or so I’ll tell you about my adventures on the receiving end of the hospital experience. Tonight I just wanted to pop in, say hello and let you know that I’m home. Also, I wanted to thank you all for your kind words and flowers…you guys made me smile when little else could.

I had never heard of the condition that I have but the neuro folks at Emory see it a lot. When I worked there I saw a LOT of diseases that I had never heard of. When the average suburban docs don’t know what to do, they send you to Emory. Apparently, a cavernous malformation (or a cav-mal as the doctors put it) is quite rare. That’s the kind of luck I have. I always seem to get the dumbest, most off the wall health problems.

It all started last Monday when I had an appointment with my doctor. It was a regular 6 month check up, I wasn’t sick or anything. I remember handing my MasterCard to the receptionist and when I did, she gave me some papers to fill out. I went back to sit down and fill out the forms and the next thing I knew I was in the emergency room. That was an utterly horrendous experience in itself and I’ll be telling you more about that later. I’ve spoken to the lady at the doctors office and she said that after I sat down to do the paperwork, she noticed that the papers were on the floor and I was staring straight ahead. They couldn’t get me to answer them so they called the doc out into the waiting room and he said to call 911. Now I know that I had a seizure that was a result of a hemorrhage in my brain. They didn’t know that in the ER, they said that the CT scan and the MRI were both negative so they sent me home.

The next day the ER called me and said that something was missed on Monday and that I had to come back to the ER immediately. They took another scan and sent me to Emory in an ambulance Wednesday evening. I was admitted directly into the neuro intensive care unit. I stayed there for two days and then they transferred me to the floor where I stayed until today.

In the morning I have to call and make an appointment with the Emory doctors but for now they gave me plenty of pain medicine and anti-seizure medicine so I’m good for the time being. This condition causes a ghastly headache and nausea. They said that the headache could last for a couple weeks...or however long it takes for my brain to absorb the blood that’s in there causing pressure. They also said that I have a small aneurism that they have to study some more. This is fun.

I hate a headache. I hate any pain above the neck. Earaches, toothaches, headaches…they all drive me nuts. I’d rather break a leg that have a bad toothache. But, as I said, I’m flush with good pain meds, morphine and Percocet. I just got home and took some morphine that’s kicking in now.

I’m gonna go lie down and rest a bit. I’ll be back soon. Thanks again and I can't wait to tell you all about my past week.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home