.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, February 08, 2008

Damn it...

..now I'm waiting for the cops to get here.

I was drinking a cup of coffee at my kitchen table, reading the paper and minding my own business when my son came in and said, "There's a bunch of men choping down your dogwood trees."

He was right. Four huge dudes with chainsaws were outside in my yard, taking huge branches down off of my 3 dogwoods that are in the side yard, along side the sidewalk out there.

I didn't have to think long at all about how to handle that situation. I leashed up my 100 pound dog and walked outside, where 3 out of 4 men backed way the fuck up. One ballsy redneck dude seemed to talk for the group when I asked, "Do you guys actually chop down peoples trees without telling them for a living? Isn't that dangerous?"

He kept babbling something about clearing the walkway or right of way, some such shit. I asked, "If a bunch of yahoos in a pick up truck were chopping down your trees, wouldn't you ask questions?"

"Yes ma'am, I'd want to know why."

"Then why the hell didn't you knock on my door and tell me?!"

Unintelligible bullshit.

"You would think that out of your own personal safety you would knock on a door. What if some drunken redneck (yeah...I used that word TO a redneck...it was cool.) with a gun came out and blew you all away?"

I shook my head and then my dog and I walked back inside.

The nit wits threw a bunch of their work in the back of the pick up truck and drove away within 30 seconds. They left some of their crap out in my yard and they never did tell me why the hell they were chopping down my trees.

I have a feeling they're going straight to the police department so if I'm not here tomorrow, come bail me out.

Here's the branches that they left in my yard during their escape:


3 Comments:

Blogger theangelJean said...

Unfortunately in my local area it is also required that trees next to the footpath be trimmed to leave space for walkers, and also that they be kept off overhead power lines (which are unfortunately still quite common in Sydney). While I can see why it is necessary, it does lead to some really ugly trimming work, where the bush/tree is forced to grow in a weird rectangular arch which is the requisite 30cm or whatever away.

However, chopping them down? Nuh-uh. You need a permit to chop down trees around here.

In Sydney, you'd need to talk to your local council about that. In the US, I don't know.

Good luck!

February 08, 2008  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I'm sure they were doing it to clear something...but you should see how far they went. I'd hate to see how far they would have gone if I hadn't gone out there. Yeah, they certainly have done some Edwards Scissorhands on crack stuff on the front street...the side street was never a problem.

February 09, 2008  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

By the way, the fence across the street is one of two that Rick drove through. There's a metal fence behind the privacy fence.

:)

February 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home