.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, May 02, 2008

I had a reason...

...to come here but I forget what it was. I hate when that happens.

Oh well, I've been readying everything for the post service get together. Jean's daughter is coming to the service but I doubt she'll come here. Anyway, I cleaned the screened-in balcony/back porch. I couldn't get the vacuum to read too far but I did the best I could. I dusted the wicker and cleaned the glass and wiped a table and shoved gardening stuff under the table. That was fun...oh, I even dusted a bike.

Then, I had to clean the fridge in my attempt to clean all the surfaces of the kitchen. I knew I'd need the fridge space for the hors dorves. I just decided to have a nice cold cut buffet and I just finished the last of it. All I have to do is bring it out of the fridge and take off the saran wrap. The bread/chips/crackers are out there already with the disposable china. I used disposable china but I also used Jean's silver service.

Of course I had to polish the silver and I didn't have enough toothpaste to do it the way I usually do it so I tried Tarnex. It made it maybe 50% better. Then I tried another silver polish and it worked really, really well on the platters but not on the sugar bowl and creamer. It was all acceptable, I just wish silver wasn't allowed to get like that. I think you can wrap it up when it's not in use if you aren't going to leave it out. I actually like cleaning silver and I would clean Jean's all the time...in front of her with the toothpaste. It was entertaining to both of us that toothpaste actually worked. Of course every time I did it I had to tell her over again that my son is the one who told me that you can clean silver with toothpaste. He was right. But this polish took much less elbow grease, that's for sure.

I stuck toothpicks in cheese squares and seafood salad in her silver bowls. The meat is all on the big platter and the little cocktail sausages all have sticks in them as well. I have flat cheese too and a few dips. Oh, I have the obligatory vegetable tray with cauliflower, broccoli, celery and carrots. I think I'm forgetting something but fuck it.

I know Jean would be happy that the sliver is being put to good use tomorrow. I feel good about that...and like I said, I like cleaning silver. I hate dishes...but I like cleaning silver.

When I left Tampa last month, my father gave me a beautiful antique silk table cloth. Oh...how I wish I had brought that with me. Who knew he didn't have one? I didn't find it out until after Dad's fourth trip to run errands. he went to half a dozen stores and even had to stop at the funeral home. I just decided to take a pretty sheet and fold it just right so it looks like a tablecloth.

Oh, out on the balcony table I put an ash tray (that's where people can smoke if they want to), Jean's cat statue and an 8X10 picture of her that my father just had enlarged. He had a few done so that he could choose one to put up at the service. I liked a different picture so I found a frame for it and stuck it out there. It's a great picture of Jean.

Damn...my mind went blank. That's probably because I've been working all day. I need to be at the funeral home at 10 so I really should be getting to sleep. It looks like I won't fall asleep before 2 and my dad's waking me up at 6. Yikes.

Night night.

:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home