.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, August 07, 2008

I've never had breast cancer...

...but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if I did get it. I've had two totally different types of cancer in my life already and I count myself quite lucky to have survived them both. Next June it will be 5 years since I was given a "50/50 chance to survive the year". If I make it to then without any surprises, I'll be considered cured...for the second time!

I just heard that 36 year old Christina Applegate has breast cancer but apparently, it was caught quite early and her prognosis is good. Her mother also had the disease so perhaps Christina was on top of her own health.

My father's mother died from breast cancer but most of the family didn't know that she had already had one mastectomy before she found the lump in her other breast. She didn't want anyone to know and although I do understand that, it's a dangerous secret to keep from your own family.

I have a cousin who had a double mastectomy in her 30's after our grandmother passed away. She's a daughter of one of my father's sisters. The gene for breast cancer is more likely to pop up in the daughters of the cancer patient than it is in the sons. So, since it was my father who's mother had breast cancer, my chances aren't as bad as are the chances of grandma's daughters and their kids. At this point, I'm hoping that my cousins are aware of what they need to do to avoid a terrible fight with breast cancer. They're a bright group so I'm confident that they will do the right thing.

Most women should have a mammogram by the age of 40 unless breast cancer runs in their family, then they should ask their doctors about screening tests much earlier. Any woman who has already had one of those torturous tests will tell you that they aren't any fun at all. But, they certainly are a good idea for all women. Now, if we could only invent a test for man cancer...one in which they must stick their manhood into a large vice-like machine...I think we'll all be happy.

In the meantime ladies, just remember to take care of yourselves and if you are a man, offer to test your wife often. Just take some nice, warm lotion and rub it all over your woman's boobs. Unfortunately for you guys, there isn't a similar test for you. But don't feel too badly...at least not until I get that vice grip machine for men up and running.

:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home