.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, September 08, 2008

Well, I'll be darned!!!

According to my Baby Book, that is the first sentence that I ever spoke. I can't imagine what would make a baby who's never spoken a full sentence to start out with something like that...and now I'll never know. But I know why I'm saying it tonight...my friend and I actually got my car started and safely back to my house!

Two chicks...neither one of whom has ever jumped a car...got together and took one car that worked and one car that didn't, and we made two cars that work!

I would think most guys would have enjoyed watching our efforts. My friend is a double D and she works at a sports bar wearing a short, short skirt and a vest that shows her awesome ta-ta's. There we stood, at 12:30 at night in Dunwoody Georgia on the corner of Peachtree Industrial and Chamblee-Dunwoody Roads. That's a pretty busy intersection, even at that time of night.

There we stood, staring at the cables wondering exactly what to do. I had to convince her that you put the cables on my car first and hers last, after her car is on. She thought you just left the cars hooked up to each other before removing the cables to start the dead car. And I knew that you shouldn't let something touch some other thing, but I didn't know what wasn't supposed to touch what. So, we just didn't let anything touch anything.

When I finally convinced her that her car had to be on while mine was charging, we had to figure out what to do with the cables next. I know they're positive and negative...but it didn't say that on the cables. We could see it on the batteries...mine was plain to see and hers was hard to find. It had a big plastic thing on top of it. Neither of us knew what it was and neither one of us wanted to arbitrarily take parts of the GOOD car apart...so we couldn't figure out which side of her battery was positive. Then we noticed the red things and wondered if they had anything to do with it.

I figured that men wouldn't make things that easy to screw up with rednecks in the world. So...since it would have been stupid to make half's of things red for NO reason, we figured it had to be of some import. Then it was a matter of figuring out who's car to put them on first.

My car was dead and couldn't hurt her car but her car was alive and could have hurt mine. That was our logic so we put it on mine first...after I relented to her way of hooking them up...flatly instead of up and down. I figured it really didn't matter and I didn't think it would work anyway by that time. So, I figured, whatever.

We finally got them hooked up to our mutual satisfaction and then we let it charge for 5 minutes which we agreed was long enough. Neither of us remembered seeing a dude do it for longer than 5 minutes.

Then, we both retreated to our mutual driver's seats and she hit her gas and I turned my key and I'll be in Scotland afore ye! That damned thing turned over and the lights went on! Except, of course for the tail lights and the dash lights...all the other lights went on and then all we had to do was separate ourselves.

We stared at the cars for a minute assessing the situation. Neither one of us could come up with any logical reason why it mattered so my friend said, in order to protect her rental car (she was rear-ended last weekend her car was totaled), "We'll take mine off first." I was cool with that...we had a 50/50 shot at doing it right and she jumped my car so I let her make that call. Besides, I didn't really think it would matter. At that point, both cars are doing the same thing. So, once again...whatever.

Now it's almost 2:30 and I have to be in Dunwoody again, coincidentally, for the shoot in the morning. So, now that my car is safely ensconced in my driveway, I'm going to bed.

:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home