.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

When I was 18 years old...

...I went on an interesting cross country trek that eventually landed me in Petaluma California. I quickly met a handsome young Marine named John Cardis. We eloped to Reno and almost immediately found out that we were expecting a baby. That baby was my oldest child. As do most marriages of a couple of teenagers, our's fell apart and I moved back home with an infant.

John and I divorced and we both went about our own lives. Apparently, being the only one of my ex's who understood the meaning of the word "divorce", John left me alone...something I wish my other 2 ex's would learn to do.

Yesterday I received a phone call from my son. It seems as though his uncle had tracked him down through Facebook, of all places. The uncle had the sad duty of informing my son that his father had passed away from a massive coronary.

Apparently, John had gained a lot of weight over the years and had a rather high cholesterol level. Not a good combination at all, those two factors contributed greatly to John's early demise.

It was a very odd feeling and I still haven't wrapped my head around the fact that my first husband and the father of my son is gone. I suppose I'll get used it as time goes by, but right now I'm still stunned. I certainly feel badly for John's mother and his siblings...but I haven't quite figured out how to feel about this sad news myself. It's an odd feeling that I don't quite know how to deal with out just yet.

I haven't seen John for years but I did care deeply about him once and he did give me a beautiful son who I am very proud of as well as grandchildren who I wouldn't have had I never met John.

John was cremated in Cleveland Ohio and his ashes will be buried in California after a full military funeral with a seven gun salute on this coming Friday. He was a Marine and he served in Guam.

Good bye John.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home