.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Meg, your blog has been too friendly a place to turn it into a fat-bashing palace....

How did that happen? I don't remember mentioning obesity. I can't imagine me saying anthing negative about fat people. I am looking for John Goodman's twin myself. I love a big guy.

After I had my first kid, my Dad took me shopping for new clothes. I couldn't wrap around a size 12 wrap around sweater and I freaked out. I asked my dad how people let themselves get that way and he said, "They just don't see it." He was right, I never realized how big I was until I saw pictures of myself after I had lost the weight. Certainly at some point, people will realize that the weight is a problem but you really don't see it on yourself. That's the whole point of body image. We all see ourselves much differently than others do and we are much more critical on ourselves than others are. Even a 13 year old boy can't be as hard on us as we can be on ourselves.

Overeating is like any other bad habit and is as difficult or more so to overcome. You HAVE to eat, there are just so many different ways to justify it as oppposed to other bad habits.

There certainly are people who inherit certain body types and we are finding out that heredity DOES play a part in the ability to gain or lose weight. I can't gain it to save my life, some people who eat as much as I do would be huge. I once heard a doctor say, in reference to a morbidly obese person, "No one can possibly eat enough to be that large, it is all in his metabolism." I must admit that I had a hard time with that one, it sort of defys the laws of physics but he was a doctor and that's what he said.

I have known men that prefer large women and I certainly prefer large men. So, we all have somebody who wants us just they way we are. Go figure.

This is probably a good time to submit an observation. I lost a lot of weight over the past year and people have no problem saying, "How do you stay so skinny?' I don't like that anymore than I would like someone pointing out how heavy I was. I can't even complain about it to anyone because people think it is great to be a size 2...It might be for them, but I was happy at a 10.

How did we get on that subject anyway?

I would rather make fun of Michael Jackson myself, he is a much more deserving target.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home