.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Uh oh...

I am worrying again. Sometimes things can get a little overwhelming. People stay in bad relationships for years because of the fear of handling things alone. That’s exactly what happened anyway and I let it happen on his timing. That was stupid. If I’d been smart, I would have left while I was healthy and able to leave on my own terms. That’s a good lesson there...if it looks like it isn’t going to get any better, lose the dud yourself rather than being blindsided.

When I pick on Georgia, I don’t mean to be nasty. It’s just that I don’t have many friends here at all. (And the time I actually demanded my money back froma museum...and got it.) I did make a few friends, but I’ve lost track of most of them since I became sick and the entire summer from hell thing. And, of course, just from being far away for a long time, my friends out of state have sort of become detached to some extent as well.

If I could give anybody ONE piece of advice, it would be to keep your friends close. As I said before, if you never lose touch with them, it will be less likely to cause a clash later on. If you have a friend that is drifting away, try a little bit harder to bring them back. I lost track of my oldest friend over her husband. I blame myself, I should have been more understanding. I was young and I pretty much challenged her to make a choice between him and I. That was so wrong of me.

Anyway, if you keep them close, they will be there when you need them. You won’t have to be terribly afraid of being alone, your friends will take good care of you. When I was young and surrounded by my friends, I could easily kick a guy to the side, it didn’t slow my life down at all.
Now here I am, I would love to go out and chat with someone but I don’t know where to go. But I have been invited to a St. Patrick’s Day party and I am very excited about that!!!

I have a green t-shirt but it is very tiny. I wouldn’t want to meet new people in a tiny t-shirt. I also have a big, oversized, green sweater. I’ll probably wear that. When I took the pictures of the T-Shirts last night, all I was wearing at one point was the men’s T-Shirt. But I had my legs all up in in it and it looked stupid. I looked like Chunk from Weird Science.
The picture made me look like a little head sticking out of a big sack.

It reminded me of the time that I dressed up as the Pillsbury Dough Boy for Halloween. The costume was thrown together at the last minute and I just stuffed pillows under my white sweat suit. People didn’t know if I was really fat or not. The way the men treated me was so wierd. They wouldn’t even make eye contact with me. It was an interesting experience. At any other party, men would have been speaking right to me and laughing with me and all of that stuff. But that night, no one spoke to me. It was so odd.

I am not proud of this but when I see an unattractive woman reporting the news, I just look at her and think, “Why are they letting that ugly woman give the news? You can’t even hear her for noticing what a skank she is. I don‘t understand how she got that job. Did some blind person hire her?” I feel badly about that and I apologize, but it is true. I never get to hear the news at all.

A man would have to have some astonishingly geeky feature or aspect to make me wonder. The Atlanta newscaster dude I mentioned earlier comes to mind, the one who spray painted his bald head. I would just stare at the distinct outline of the spray paint. Who did he think he was fooling?

When you bald guys grow hair from behind one ear and endeavor to pass it off as “top of head hair”, why don’t you just grow it from behind BOTH ears? Then you will have twice as much cover up there. I’ve seen a few of you comb those back hairs up over the top, but never have I seen a man attempt it from ALL angles. Why not? You are missing up on some serious camouflage potential. Nobody would ever notice that you were bald.

Well, I have insulted a few different groups in one post. I guess my work here is done.

Meg

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Margaret,

I have not suffered the effects of not having friends as you have expressed here. I am a Capricorn and I find I am my best friend, yet it is nice to have a shoulder to lean on in times of need. What part of the U.S. are you a native of? Where are your parents, brothers and sisters? Did you develop any arms length friends in your trade, high school, professional associations? In your writings on you blog, have you any photos other than the t-shirt promotions?

March 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Margaret,

I swear I proof read and spell check my posts and still mistakes sneak in: your blog. . . .In your writings of "your blog"

In addition to that correction, in the upper right hand corner of your home page there is a clickable banner for "the next blog". I could be on this thread, the next blog, all day long. Meanwhile I have data piling up on NetNewsWire.

March 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found 5 dollars crumpled in the bottom of my purse last week, so I bought a St. Patrick's Day shirt from Old Navy. As it turns out, everyone I know works Friday, so it appears I'll be celebrating with a beer or two in front of my tv. Yay! Ugh.
I've found more and more why exactly I have so few friends. It's painful for me to have a life that exists purely of sleep and work. Hearing about trips, parties, friends, fun, Etc. makes me envious, and I don't like feeling that way.

Any luck with the project we discussed?

March 16, 2005  
Blogger Anne Arky said...

"People stay in bad relationships for years because of the fear of handling things alone."
This is a very human response to almost any situation -- the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. At least as long as you know what you're dealing with, it is not as scary as the unknown. Also, people DO fear being unable to handle life on their own. My friend spent sixteen years taking care of her parents in every aspect except financially, and she even managed the money (it was theirs, but she handled the management of it), and now that they are both deceased, she thinks she can't manage on her own. I tried to tell her that managing for one is a whole lot easier than managing for three.

Meg, your blog has been too friendly a place to turn it into a fat-bashing palace. For those of you who think it's an easy thing to fix, I would wish you to wake up one morning suddenly weighing 400 pounds, without a clue how you got that way, and then see how easy it is to fix. Prejudicial treatment of it is a learned behavior, just like any other prejudice, not a "natural aversion".

March 16, 2005  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I was born in New Jersey, grew up in Chicago, moved to California, back to Chicago, to Roanoke Virgina, then back to Chicago, then back to Roanoke (for Rick) then to New York, then here to Atlanta. I do have a few friends, but my illness has been pretty isolating. Add that to the fact that I pretty much made Rick my whole life and I am pretty alone here. My Dad lives in Florida, my sisters are in Florida and Chicago, I have a brother in Texas, Virginia and Chicago. I have no family here in Georgia except for my two sons and my grand daughter. There are pictures of me very early in the blog. Wow, that was exhausting.

Meg

March 16, 2005  
Blogger Anne Arky said...

Purple,
You go, honey! Your level of tolerance is refreshing!

Weird,
Not gonna hate you, I'd just like to help open up your mind a little. (Minds, like parachutes, work best when opened.)
Speaking for myself and as many fat folks as care to agree with me, I don't want to date anyone who has a built-in aversion to me. But I don't feel like anyone who has an aversion to me or those built like me has a right to knock us as a group. Fat is the last bastion of bashability that political correctitude is encompassing -- you can't make fun of anybody else who's "different" (from you or whomever), but you can still nail the rolly pollies freely. What you perceive as "something that is forced down my throat by the evil media" might be -- could it REALLY be? -- that it is becoming politically incorrect to bash people who are overweight. That's called Fat Acceptance. You don't have to like it, but it ain't right to beat up on it. It's not that you should date anyone you find attractive, but rather that you should at least not target them for ridicule or other negative treatment.

I find it hard to swallow that if you go out to a bar and get drunk and then later get involved in a car accident when you should not have been driving drunk, you can easily sidestep your responsibility by successfully suing the bartender who should have had a drunk-o-meter on you when you walked in the door and known in advance that you had been to three other bars before you got there; if you smoke for twenty years, even after the advent of the warning labels, you can have a reasonable chance at a successful lawsuit of the tobacco industry; but if you are overweight, you can sue McDonalds, Pizza Hut or whomever, and you will get laughed out of court all the way to the salad bar. The behavior is the same, it's just the way it is perceived that is different.

Think on this, WG -- anyone you see whom you may think is "grossly overweight" may very well be a closet alcoholic or other "holic" whose drug of choice was pizza or some other comfort food. There may be any number of extenuating circumstances of which you are totally unaware; who is to say what circumstance is acceptable?

(Anne puts away soapbox and bids the blog adieu for the day.)

March 16, 2005  
Blogger Anne Arky said...

Purple,
You go, honey! Your level of tolerance is refreshing!

Weird,
Not gonna hate you, I'd just like to help open up your mind a little. (Minds, like parachutes, work best when opened.)
Speaking for myself and as many fat folks as care to agree with me, I don't want to date anyone who has a built-in aversion to me. But I don't feel like anyone who has an aversion to me or those built like me has a right to knock us as a group. Fat is the last bastion of bashability that political correctitude is encompassing -- you can't make fun of anybody else who's "different" (from you or whomever), but you can still nail the rolly pollies freely. What you perceive as "something that is forced down my throat by the evil media" might be -- could it REALLY be? -- that it is becoming politically incorrect to bash people who are overweight. That's called Fat Acceptance. You don't have to like it, but it ain't right to beat up on it. It's not that you should date anyone you find attractive, but rather that you should at least not target them for ridicule or other negative treatment.

I find it hard to swallow that if you go out to a bar and get drunk and then later get involved in a car accident when you should not have been driving drunk, you can easily sidestep your responsibility by successfully suing the bartender who should have had a drunk-o-meter on you when you walked in the door and known in advance that you had been to three other bars before you got there; if you smoke for twenty years, even after the advent of the warning labels, you can have a reasonable chance at a successful lawsuit of the tobacco industry; but if you are overweight, you can sue McDonalds, Pizza Hut or whomever, and you will get laughed out of court all the way to the salad bar. The behavior is the same, it's just the way it is perceived that is different.

Think on this, WG -- anyone you see whom you may think is "grossly overweight" may very well be a closet alcoholic or other "holic" whose drug of choice was pizza or some other comfort food. There may be any number of extenuating circumstances of which you are totally unaware; who is to say what circumstance is acceptable?

(Anne puts away soapbox and bids the blog adieu for the day.)

March 16, 2005  
Blogger Anne Arky said...

Weird Guy,
I hope you don't consider the venomous points anything that I said. My wish for people who ARE fat bashers (and if you say you aren't one, I believe you) to wake up weighing 400 pounds and not knowing how it happened was not meant in the spirit of "a fat fie and pox upon you", but rather a wish for such people to walk a mile in my shoes (or my size 30s), as it were.
I agree with what you said about the lawsuits being ridiculous, and I used to say that suing bartenders because you drive drunk or cigarette companies because you got cancer made about as much sense as suing Pizza Hut (or McDonalds) for making you fat, and never in my wildest dreams did I think anyone would do it. But as I said, you see what happened when they did.
Sorry to come in so late on this again, and not trying to stir it up again -- I just wanted a chance to say it was not my intent to offend anyone, but rather to incite some understanding. Thanks.

Anne

March 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home