.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, March 28, 2005

Meg...

...I had to laugh at your comment about things that only happen to you. I have spent my whole life explaining to people, "You know those things you hear about that only happen to OTHER PEOPLE? Well, let me introduce myself -- I'm the OTHER PEOPLE that crazy things happen to." I only missed you at Marietta Diner by probably seven or eight hours.

Anne, what a shame. If you are willing to meet nitro, I would love to meet glycerin. Isn't the Diner great? We should get together there sometime. I had another day you would have appreciated.

Today, both of my toilets overflowed simultaneously as water backed up into my tub. Gallons and gallons, minutes and minutes, overflowing toilet water onto the carpet my son steam cleaned Saturday. The tub never actually overflowed, it just puked up copious amounts of some hideous concoction that I would rather not describe. But the toilets wouldn't stop.

I called the landlord and he told me to call the regular guy. The regular guy couldn't get here until tomorrow and I figured the damage had been done so I said that would be O.K.. Then, like the bright woman that I am, I decided to wash the towels that I had used to clean up the mess.

Considering the mess I was cleaning, I poured half a gallon of bleach into the washer. When the washer drained the bleached wash water, the toilets upchucked all of it onto the carpets that were already saturated from the earlier deluge. The bleach left my bathroom carpets with some sort of tie-dye effect to them...in both bathrooms. I don't know why they carpeted the bathrooms, but they did. I bet they wish they hadn't done that now.

Obviously, by this time, I couldn't wait until tomorrow to have the problem fixed. Apparently, the word "Emergency" means within 24 hours to most plumbers. I spent the entire afternoon trying to find one who would come right over. Everyone of them wanted to call me back in a half an hour so I could only call about 2 an hour. I finally found one who would come out and he was a cutie. If I had been able to take a shower this morning, I would have hit on him. But, my hair was stringy and I was wearing flannel pants with a large t-shirt that I had just spilled wax on the moment before the doorbell rang. I spilled wax on me because I didn't know the candle had just been used. It didn't just get on me, it got on the carpet in the living room. Now, that carpet has a huge, dark blue wax stain on it. I haven't decided what to throw on my bedroom floor.

Also today, I had to pick up my step-mother's glasses for her because she has been wearing glasses with one lens since she got here. (I had to take her to get a new eye exam last week.) And then I had to go to my friend's house to fix her hair for her because she has a luncheon to go to tomorrow and I promised her last month that I would do it. The glasses were 15 miles east and the hair lady is 20 miles west. I couldn't leave the house until the kid's mother picked them up. She was two hours late getting to my house and I had no way of calling her to find out why. My lawyer called to say that I have to go to mediation Thursday even though I have no way of paying for it. As I type this, it is almost midnight and I have to get up at 5 because my step mother gets up at 4 and she "waits an entire hour" before she wakes me up as it is. There are fans in my bathrooms and the windows are open so I can try to dry out my carpet. I am cold and I am tired.

But you know what? I am very happy.

We want the details!! Please please please!!!!!!

Of what? The hideous concoction in the drain? Be more specific and I will give you all the details you want. If you want names as well, email me at IWasAlone@aol.com. :):):)

Meg

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Margaret,

This is all said with a smile and kindness in my voice.

How old is your son? Has he been exposed to events that happen in daily life and how to think them through?

Do you own a plunger? This should have been the first action taken when the toilets start to back up. Has it happened to you before in this apartment? Are you and your family careful about what gets flushed down the toilet? You know it is not a garbage disposal, right? Anyway, a plunger will usually take care of the smaller problems.

Carpeting in a bathroom is the worst. In fact, carpeting in any living area is a breeding ground for germs and dust. All the more so if you have animals.

I did not know you lived in an apartment? First floor? Where does your father come into the picture then? With so many people visiting at one time, is it kinda crowded?

So, it sounds like what you need is a handyman around the house. Yep, that would help lots. I have a plunger here in my house. Get one and learn to use it.
Next, comes blown fuses. You do know about that? How about locked doors, like with you on the wrong side of the door? And the list goes on and on. Living is a bitch and even more so without duck tape.

March 29, 2005  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I don't live in an apartment! People rent houses too! The problem was the main was clogged between the street and the house. They opened the line and snaked it. It turns out the line was clogged with Depends. I had no idea the lady was flushing them down the toilet. I hope my toilet story is now straightened out.

Meg

March 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg

OK lady, you can do that after you get on the jet. There is a computer on it. As soon as you board, you can tell them whatever you want. Deal?

Kevin

March 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home