.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

I have a Lucy Ricardo thing going on at times...

I find myself in the oddest situations. People always end up saying things like, "This could only happen to you." or "You should write a book." Well, yesterday it wasn't just me, my daughter and her friend were there as well. And I might put it in the book, but for now I will just tell you.

My daughter and her girl friend drove down here from Chicago to spend Easter with me. We have been hard pressed to find much time to spend to spend together because I have had to visit my friend that is in a wheelchair and I have been taking my houseguest to her appointments.

Yesterday when I dropped the houseguest off at her bridge game, I took my daughter (Annie) and her friend (Melanie) to Underground Atlanta.

When we first got there, we walked out into the town looking for a store. When we did, I saw a sign that said 5 Points-something. I went to a restaurant in 5 Points once and wanted to take the girls there. We walked all over looking for that stupid restaurant. Eventually, I called the friend who had taken me to the restaurant and asked her where it was. I was in the wrong place. Apparently, there are two 5 Points in Atlanta. Why? How many 5 Points does one city need?

So we went back into Underground Atlanta. We were getting pretty hungry and there were an inordinate amount of motorcycles on the streets. We wanted to go to a sit down restaurant so the food court wouldn't do. After walking around looking at the menus outside different restaurants, we chose the Irish place down in the Underground.

No one waited on us so we left. We walked right outside and into a place called The Alley Cat. We were starving and the place sort of looked like an alley so I didn't question the name. I would have any other time, I swear.

Our waitress was wearing pussy-cat ears and whiskers. She wasn't smiling, this was not a joke. As she took our order, I noticed a belly button ring and a spider web tattoo on her right shoulder. I was frightened. Then I noticed the complimentary boxer shorts on the table. Things were beginning to make sense to me. This was a strip bar. Fortunately, we were too early for the show...they were catering to tourists at noon.

We started hearing the motor cycles again. Then the band began. They welcomed us all to THE FIRST ANNUAL ATLANTA BIKERFEST!!!!!
The Alley Cat began filling up with the biker dudes and dudettes. I was very frightened.

There was a card on the table. I picked it up expecting to find a dessert menu. Instead, it was the list of nightly events that The Alley Cat advertised. Wednesday night at The Alley Cat, be sure to attend Body Piercing and Tattoo Night. Apparently, all of the waitresses work Wednesdays. They had metal hanging off of everything they had, ears, noses, cheeks, belly buttons, lips, tongues...I strongly suspect they had more in places that I couldn't see. The tattoos looked hideously painful. One girl had a huge bird of paradise tattooed on her back. Ouch. And then the biker folk...my God, they had almost as many tattoos as the waitresses. My table and the family trapped in the table next to me were quite a bit out of place. We eventually got our food, ate and got the hell out of the strip club.

I had a lot to do yesterday so I never got around to making dinner. We had to go out to eat again so we went to the Square in Marietta, there are plenty of restaurants there. We walked around, once again reading menus. We carefully chose Hemmingways. There were no tables there. We were slightly underdressed for Shillings so we went next door to Simpatico's. A table at last.

The excellent wait staff did not make us wait. They were on the ball and bringing us our water, coffee and silverware very quickly. By the time they had done that, we noticed the prices on the sparse menu. The cheapest thing on it was 16.95 and that was veal meatloaf. What the heck is veal meatloaf? I don't eat veal anyway. We had to make a dash for the door. I tossed 5 bucks on the table and said, "Let's go."

Annie hesitated. My back was to the staff and I was dependent upon those two to let me know when it would be a good time to split. Annie hesitated again. I'm ready, perched at the end of the booth with my jacket on and waiting for the signal. Melanie finally spoke up. "You know, I don't think it's going to get any better than it is right now."

At that moment, Annie booked. I was right behind her. I assumed that Melanie was right behind me but she was deeper into the booth and it took her a second to get out. Annie and I were around the corner by the time she got out the door. We were all laughing so hard we couldn't walk. Then, at the exact same moment, we said in unison, "Let's just go to the Marietta Diner."

We actually harmonized as we said it. So, we went to the Marietta Diner and had a great dinner. We discussed the Easter plans and decided to have a lovely Easter brunch instead of a dinner so we are cooking it now. I am taking a break to write this but I must get back to my daughter. She is wonderful. I miss her so much when she isn't here. She is leaving later on today so I am going to go spend the rest of my time with her. My grand-daughter will be here too! I hope you all are having a nice day as well. See ya later.

Meg

1 Comments:

Blogger Anne Arky said...

I had to laugh at your comment about things that only happen to you. I have spent my whole life explaining to people, "You know those things you hear about that only happen to OTHER PEOPLE? Well, let me introduce myself -- I'm the OTHER PEOPLE that crazy things happen to."
I only missed you at Marietta Diner by probably seven or eight hours.

March 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home