.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope you are all having a good holiday so far. I am about to get ready to leave for work but I wanted to say hello before I did. Tonight my son and I are going to have a nice dinner and watch movies. I won’t have the time to roast a turkey or make any of the other stuff that goes with a Thanksgiving dinner, but we did go shopping last night to get whatever we wanted and we ended up with filet. That’s no surprise, I never get sick of that. My son wanted homemade pizza, but he couldn’t find the Boboli pizza crust that he’s so fond of. He’ll just suffer through the steak dinner that I’m going to make when I get home from work.

We don’t have the little kids this year, we will have them for Christmas. That means no “kiddie table” in my kitchen this year.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, I hosted my first Thanksgiving with a Kiddie Table last year. As I set it, I remembered sitting at my grandmother’s Kiddie Table. I always wanted to go to the Big Table. The Big Table people had the turkey and the mashed potatoes and the gravy while all the Kiddie Table people had was deviled eggs and gerkin pickles.

Big Grandma sat at the head of the table and everyone else sat around her...it was wonderful. Life was easy and all I wanted was my place at the big table. Then Big Grandma died. Things were still great, Grandma was at the head of the table and life was sweet. But I still yearned to graduate to the Big Table.Then Grandma died.

That opened up a spot and I moved up to the Big Table!!!! Mom sat at the head of the table and I was happy, even with my idiot cousin Leon at the Big Table as well. My kids were at the kiddie table and I was securely ensconsed in my own place at the big table.

Then Mom died. And I started to wonder...Now Dad is at the head of the table and I am figuring this crap out.

This isn’t a Big Table!!!! IT’S A LAUNCHING PAD FOR DEATH AND I'M ON DECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The worst thing about the death launching pad that we refer to as the Big Table is that the ones of us who are the closest to death have to cook for the people who are still running around enjoying life, feeling all invinsible. So, this year I am pleased that I don't have to cook for 4 days...I did it last year. This year there isn't anyone here to cook for except for my son and he would rather just have that steak dinner and avoid cooking. I could have started it all yesterday and this morning and let the turkey cook all day. But my son knew that he would have to spend the day basting the turkey while I was at work and he thought better of that.

So, here I am, sucking coffee, about to get ready to go to work. I like working on the holidays. Being a nurse, we work the holidays and the people we work with are either too sick to be at home or they have no one to be with on the holidays. So, I can never feel sorry for myself when I work the holidays, I'm surrounded by people with far more problems than I have.

And what people they are! This year, I will be taking care of some older people and one of them is an old man who was in both WWI AND WWII! How many people get to meet someone like that? Not many. This guy is 97 years old and sharp as a tack. He tells the best stories that you could possibly hear. Usually, you would have to find a book to learn about the things that this man tells me about.

One year I took care of a man who had survived the Battan Death March. He had even written a book about it. He let me take the book home to read and then he died before I could give it back. His family told me to keep it and it's one of my favorite possessions.

So, while you are eating your Thanksgiving dinner, I will be lucky enough to be taking care of people who could tell me stories about Thanksgivings that happened 50 or 60 years ago. Oddly enough, they may not remember what they had for breakfast, but they can tell me what they did the morning that WWII ended and that's one of the many reasons that I love taking care of these folks.

So, I'm going to go get ready to go to work and I'll be having a great holiday. I'll be working with people who truly know what the holidays are all about and I can't wait to get there. So, you guys have a great day and I'll be back to tell you about my day later.

See ya!

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home