.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Hi...

...I'm not feeling at all well today so I turned around when I was halfway to the YWCA. I have a doctor's appointment at 2 so I wanted to pop in and say hello while I had a chance.

I was just watching the news and I saw that a Georgia congresswoman, Cynthia McKinney, has been accused of assaulting a DC police officer because he didn't recognize her when she was going through a side entrance to the congressional office building.

If there's one thing besides money that will keep a person from being prosecuted for a crime like the rest of us, it's power. McKinney will not spend one day in jail, whether she's guilty or not. I doubt that a member of congress would EVER go to jail for anything short of committing murder. I find that despicable. If you or I assaulted a cop, even by simply shoving them in the chest like McKinney is accused of, we'd be sent to jail immediately without bond and without a court date in the foreseeable future.

McKinney has issued an apology and if she had done nothing at all, she wouldn't have done that. So, my guess is that the woman really got the cop good. There's absolutely NO justification for assaulting anyone, ever. Self defense or the defense of your children is a different story, but in general, there is just no good reason to hurt another person.

If the cop had done that to Ms. McKinney, I'm sure that the entire world would be hearing her whine about how the racist cop had abused her. Since McKinney hasn't complained about racism in this case...yet...I imagine that the cop must have been African-American. If he had been white, she would most assuredly accuse him of racism.

I'm so sick of hearing people use the race card whenever it benefits them. It takes a serious issue and belittles it. What truly IS racist behavior now? How do you define it when practically everything that a white person does is considered racist?

I stopped by a Mexican restaurant yesterday that had a Help Wanted sign outside. The man there said that the job was in McDonough, a town 50 miles away from here. I doubt that. Why would someone put a sign up asking for help in Marietta for a crappy job that's 50 miles away?

I'm going to have an Hispanic friend of my son's call and ask about the job. We'll see if the job is any closer then. My guess is that they want Hispanic servers and I'm obviously NOT Hispanic. OK, I just called Jorge...he's going to call them when he isn't busy and then he'll call me back to let me know. Hopefully, I'll have an answer soon.

Anyway, Jorge wouldn't get away with smacking a cop anymore than I would. It amazes me that the people who refuse to prosecute rich people and people in power don't mind if we know that they won't do it. Doesn't it bother them that all Americans know that rich or powerful people can get away with most crimes? You would think that they'd prosecute one of those folks at least a couple of times a year to make it look good. But they don't.

If I were Ms. McKinney, what would stop me from smacking everyone that bothers me? I guess she worries about re-election...she certainly doesn't have to worry about jail. She'll NEVER see the inside of one unless she's there to visit some poor schmuck with a television crew with her.

Doesn't that make you mad? It's not that I want to see the lady in jail, I don't. But I find it extremely offensive that Americans, while created equal, certainly are NOT equal. So much for the blindfold on Lady Justice. Apparently, while she can't SEE, she can smell money and power.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home