.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Hi there!!!

i JUST WOKE UP AFTER WORKING ALL NIGHT AND 5 MINUTES AFTER i DID, THEY CALLED TO ASK ME TO WORK TONIGHT. i'LL THINK ABOUT IT LATER, i STILL HAVE TIME TO GIVE IT SOME THOUGHT...SHE THINKS THAT I"M STILL SLEEPING ..............Oh my GOD! I TOLD you that I had to look at the keys when I typed, I didn't know the caps lock was on. Sorry about that. I had to explain that to you so that I didn't have to go through all the trouble of writing that over again..........Anyway, I just woke up.

My dogs are outside and one of them, the female...is barking her fool head off. She always does that. She wants to come in but if I allow the barking to succeed, the male will start that crap too. He's already tried it a couple of times. I was thinking about getting one of those things that holds her stupid head shut so that she can't bark. What do you guys think of that? Would it be cruel? Do they work? Are they dangerous? HELP! I don't know what to do about this big, loud, clumsy dog. I'm shocked that the neighbors haven't called the cops. I don't ler her bark for very long, just long enough to let the male know that it doesn't work.

So...as I usually do in the mornings when I wake up, I came online as I sipped my coffee. (Even if the "morning" is 4 PM Sunday afternoon.) And when I did, I came across this comment:

"...Dealing with an Alzheimers patient takes the heart of a Saint, or more patience than I've ever had. Can't be easy, especially as they don't get better. Tough life. YEESH!..."

You'd be surprised what you could deal with for someone that you love. When faced with the harsh reality of illness...MOST people muster up the courage, the strength, and yes, the patience...to find it within themselves to do what they need to do to care for their loved one. As I said in an earlier post, I see families muster together for each other every day that I go to work. The love that I'm witness to is nothing short of touching and proof of the spirituality that people are capable of. I'm very lucky to be able to see people at their best when I go to work.

As a nurse, you'd think that I would see folks at their absolute lowest. But I don't. I see them when every physical source of strength they possess is tapped to the brink of collapse. But the spiritual reserviors begin to power them and they glow with the energy of a shooting star. I stand in awe of them.

Well, now it's time to call my supervisor and tell her that I will work tonight. I wanted to tell you something about Alzheimer's...but I don't have time if I'm going to work. So, I'll be back later to tell you...don't forget to come back...it'll be a good one.

Meg

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are waiting on the results on my wife's biopsy which would be her second occurence of cancer. My daughter and I coped the first time but I appreciate your timely reminder about how people rally under difficult circumstances.

By the way, my wife was so moved by the care of her chemo nurses before that she is now applying to nursing programs herself.

December 10, 2006  
Blogger Determined said...

my mom sprays water on the dogs when they bark. It's quite funny. When they start barking, she yells, "Water!!", while she picks up a spray container filled with water. They quickly shut their mouthes and walk away.

I used to do that to my cat when he used to jump on top of the stove. I'd spray the cat with water, and down he'd go.

December 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg -

I had to get a bark collar for one of my old dogs. It sends a small shock to them whenever they bark. It ain't great, but it's better than getting a citation and paying a fine!

December 11, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I'm a HUGE fan of the squirt the cat with water trick, it worked on ALL of the cats I've ever had. I never thought about using it on the dogs. The dog that barks is an old, old german shepherd that I found just about dead from starvation.

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to look for one of those colars, I don't care how much it costs.

Now, I HAVE to address the first comment up there in a post and finish what I started when I write it and had to run off to work. I'm going to write it now, it'll be up there soon, unless my puter fucks up.

Meg

December 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home