.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

OK...

Last night as I was getting ready to write a post, the phone rang. It was my supervisor telling me that I was on the schedule for last night and I had no clue. She said that I must have forgotten but I don't ever work Monday and Tuesday so I wouldn't have forgotten scheduling myself on my regular days off. But, since they needed me and I had slept all day, I was able to go in and pull the shift.

Then, this morning when I got home, I received a call from a manager at one of the hospitals that I work at and she wanted me to come in for a quick 4 hours this afternoon. I had to clear it through my supervisor first so I did and rather than going to sleep, I'm going to stay up and work those 4 hours and then go to sleep for about 20 hours.

People are funny...I have patients who have no family at all and then there are some who have family that complains and whines over every stupid little thing that occurs. One lady refused to take her mother home after the doctors discharged her so the mother is staying a bit longer even though there really isn't a reason for her to stay. I don't know how they clear that stuff through the insurance.

Of course, in this business, the squeaky wheel gets the oil so I certainly understand why people bitch...I would if it were someone that I cared for...but some people take it to the extreme. They bitch to the point where the care actually suffers but there's no stopping them.

One huge example of how people suffer from the bitching is the existence of super-bugs. For some reason, people feel as though they need anti-biotics for things that anti-biotics don't help. Even more ridiculous is the fact that the doctors give them to these people! Years and years of that crap and now there are bugs like MRSA-Methycillin Resistant Stapholococcus Aureus. That is a germ that is resistant to most all anti-biotics and when someone has it...they have a very tough time getting rid of it. There are others, but that one is the most prevalent. If this doesn't stop, there could be even more dangerous bugs in the future that will do a lot of harm and perhaps even spread easier than the flu bugs.

Another thing that I've noticed...female doctors don't give decent pain medication. I have to admit to being a sexist where female doctors are concerned. I wouldn't go to one. I could have two patients...both with the same diagnosis, the only difference is that one of them has a woman doctor and the other a man. But the one with the woman doctor has tylenol for pain and the other has IV morphine. I don't know why that is, I'm sure they don't teach them any differently. When I call a doctor in the middle of the night for a pain med for one of my patients...I pray that the doctor on call is a man. Have any of you had any experiences like that?

I'm very pleased that a manager called me...she could have just called the office and asked for any nurse...but the fact that she called me shows me that she likes me and my work. I do work my ass off...and I love it. It's so nice to have a job that you love. I hate those jobs that I dread going to, don't you? I've had jobs that were so unpleasant that on the way to work I was already trying to think of a scam to get out of work or at least to leave early. But this job is so much fun that I look forward to it.

I've always worn white as a nurse...for a few reasons. I like to be able to bleach them, I like to be able to show a confused patient that I'm a nurse because I'm wearing white and I've been a nurse so long that I am just used to nurses wearing white. Nowadays, you can't tell a nurse from the cafeteria workers. I don't know why they stopped wearing white...and I wish I did. I can certainly do without the cap...but the white uniform is something that I think we should have kept. It's actually hard to find them anymore. White dress uniforms are even harder to find...if you go to a uniform store and ask for them, they'll tell you that you need to go online or order them from a catalog. What do you guys think about that subject?

Well, I think that I'm going to soak in my tub so that I can at least relax a bit before I have to go back in. Have a great day!

Meg

1 Comments:

Blogger Meg Kelso said...

WOW!!! How nice of you to write! Yes, the cabin was indeed gorgeous, wasn't it? I don't know if you saw them or not...but I posted some of the pictures that I took while I was there. I'm so glad that I stuck that address in there and so glad that you wrote.

After spending the weekend at that cabin, I have a new dream...a cabin of my own. I'd love to buy a piece of land like they did and put up a little place like that one. It wouldn't have to be so luxurious but I would love to have that view and the fireplace.

I hope you and your wife had as much fun as I did. Did you guys find any reason to leave the cabin? Or, did you do what I did...just stay there watching the beautiful view?

I can't wait to go there again.

Meg

December 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home