.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Meg,

I remember when we visited you in Chicago when we were all "happy families". I am Steven, Karen's son. Your dad is my God Father, and I am a lot like him in many ways.
Odd, though, I am a divorce lawyer and Mom and my sister Lori were talking about your blog yesterday.


Well how about that? I'm hearing from cousins that I haven't seen since they were little munckins and now they're old enough to be attorneys! Damn, I must be quite the old kid...I remember these cousins as youngins.

Anyone like my father would be a formidable opponent...I bet you're a great lawyer. I bet your Mom is proud of you...of all of her kids. I've heard nothing but good stuff about "Karen's kids". I saw a baby announcement at my father's once and the baby had been given Broderick as a middle name. My father thought it was a great idea. I had to remind him that I started that little fad when I named my oldest William Broderick. I wanted to name him after my father but I didn't like the name Alfred. I know it's a family name but I just didn't like the sound of William Alfred so I went with William Broderick. If I had know that none of my brothers were going to be reproducing...I would have used it as his first name instead of his middle name.

My father was the only son in his family to reproduce and when he had 3 boys...I'm sure he thought he had ensured the Broderick name would be carried on. But, unless my youngest brother gets busy soon, there won't be any Brodericks from our grandfather's family and the Broderick name will be carried on in middle names alone.

My father once said that he thought he would have 20 grandchildren by now. My sister, Lori, and I are the only kids out of 6 (not counting my sister who died as an infant) to have any children and we each have 3. So, my father is barely averaging one grandchild per kid.

My father called me as I was writing that sentence and is telling me about his upcoming trip to The Abbey, a lovely resort up in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. He is taking his lady friend, or whatever it is you call his ex-wife that lives with him. She went to the doctor and heard that she may need to go on dialysis within 3 months so they are going to try to have fun while they can.

I hope they do.

Anyway, I'm done speaking to him now and my daughter called as we were saying goodbye. I guess it's not in the cards for me to write this post right now. I'll try again later.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home