.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, February 09, 2007

I doubt that many...

...companies scrutinize their employees much more than NASA does. Background checks, psychiatric exams, physicals of all sorts, endurance tests and actual space flights for the astronauts. Yet, one of them seems to have totally lost it.

The talking heads are all asking what can be done to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future? What could they have done better to prevent this woman from going a tad kooky herself? Will their testing change now? Will they scrutinize their astronauts even more from now on? LOLOLOLOLOL.

There isn't a damn thing they could possibly do that would let them know who would be capable of snapping. Especially when it comes to matters of the heart. None of us know what we might be capable of given the right set of circumstances. I don't know what in the heck was going on with those 3 military officers...but whatever it was, someone felt betrayed enough to try to do severe bodily harm to another person and that's always shocking...no one ever expects it when it happens. That's why you always hear how "quiet and unassuming" the people were before they climbed up to a bell tower with a rifle and started picking off innocent people.

Some countries understand that and things like love triangles are a murder defense. If you kill the other person, you get off on a crime of passion. I'm not saying that we should have such legal protection in such circumstances...but I can see how one person can push another person to the brink of insanity. It isn't permanent, it's most certainly temporary...and I doubt that the temporarily insane person would ever commit another crime again in their lives. It isn't often that a person pushes you so far as to make you homicidal.

But, back to NASA. There isn't a damn thing that they can do to prevent this sort of thing except to have cameras on the astronauts at all times. None of us know what we might do if pushed far enough and there's no way to predict the sort of situation that would provoke it so we can't avoid it when it's coming. But, the talking heads will keep on talking and asking stupid questions because that's what they do. Yesterday they talked for hours regarding Anna Nicole Smith and they knew nothing. Yet, they spoke about that nothing, well to be fair...they had about 4 facts...but they spoke about those 4 facts for hours, along with the nothing of course.

I suppose there'll be a book out soon, everyone will sell their stories. And then we'll know what it took for such an accomplished woman (excuse me, she was also CLEAN. And WELL SPOKEN.), to drive hundreds of miles to do great bodily harm to another person, all the time wearing a diaper.

I suppose we all have thoughts like that once or twice in our life. Maybe more...who knows. But we don't usually act on those feelings. The feelings are supposed to be purgative in themselves. You're not supposed to really hurt other people. I can't tell you the fantasies that I've had...but trust me, they were good enough in themselves...I don't have to act upon them.

The real shame is that this woman will go to prison for a long time and that's probably not gonna help anyone. Her kids need her and I doubt that she would ever do anything like that at all. I could be wrong and it's not a cause that I would parade for...just a mild opinion. It could be swayed as easily as my mood. Maybe it's just because I SO understand her feeling that she had no other option. Of course, she did, but she never saw it.

Too many people lack the ability to see giving up as an option. They won't give up, they won't shut up and they certainly won't let up. They become obsessed to the point that they do something stupid. From Michael Richards to Nancy Pelosi, these people make hideous comments and then justify it by attacking someone else or just by going into treatment. (I worked for a drug rehab once...they didn't have a class for anti-Semites.) They lack the ability to back down when they so firmly believe that they're right, just like our little astronaut lady. It's all part of the "If it feels good, do it!" attitude and it is a direct result of the lack of self control.

We've always had nuts...but we knew who they were. Today you can't tell. Could be any one of us.

"He was such a kind soul, always playing with the children."

Meg

2 Comments:

Blogger Determined said...

wow, Meg, this is an excellent article. Perhaps we should forward it to NASA?

Recently, I read that humans have the need to feel loved - it is a subconscience primal reason to exist.

I read that people behave the way Lisa did because their subconscience perception is that if they lose the love object, then they will perish. This perception will literally push the individual's reasoning abilities aside.

Interestingly, divorce is categorized as a main trigger to cause one to snap, because it is considered to be the ultimate threat of abandonment.

Although I have never stalked my ex, I did behave irrationally. I remember when I received my divorce papers by surprise, OMG, the world went blank. The following two months were the worst for me as I behaved in ways that I normally wouldn't have - I would stay out on the streets till 6am, drink, hang around with strangers, and walk the parks at night alone. It was certainly a dark time for me, and at the time, only like 2 people really cared. Just think - a month earlier, my husband was inviting me to do something special for Valentines, so you can imagine the mental shock I was in. He'll never know or understand the damage his irresponsible behavior did to me.

Everytime that I look back I literally cry, because I just for the life of me cannot believe that I behaved that way. I could have really damaged myself.

February 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG woman, you are funny. It is sad but true. We really don't know when people will snap, but snap they do.
I'm not gonna snap though, no sir, not me. Too stubborn. Oh, and jail time, I like my freedom too much...

February 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home