.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

What a weekend.

I've spent almost the entire time with Payton. He got fleas and then he had an allergic reaction to the flea bites. It was awful, he got little tiny scabs wherever he got bitten. I bought flea stuff at the grocery store and wasted $50 on that stuff before I went to the vet and got their flea stuff but apparently it didn't work so I took him in yesterday and spent another $200 on the stupid little parasites.

So, all in all, those damn buggers cost over $350 not to mention the bother. So, although the vet was expensive, if I would have just taken the stupid animal in the first place I wouldn't have spent so much. I can't imagine what people do when they don't have the money to pay for the vet...what do they do when someone says, "$200 please."? They don't have hospitals for dogs that will just bill you forever, you have to pay for the vet and the medicine right then or leave the animal at home.

Oh well, at least he's better now. They gave him 5 of those flea pills that we give him once a month and said to give him one a day until they're gone. That'll do it. Of course now I have to do the cats as well. They've started scratching while Payton has stopped. I broke one of Payton's pills into thirds and gave them each a piece of the pill so that they could get started on the medicine right away. I'll go get more tomorrow so that Payton can have enough and I guess so the cats can have enough.

I just got done giving Payton a bath and that was no small chore...I must say. It was a bitch and a half. By the time I was done I was wet from head to toe. I should have just gotten in the tub with him and pulled him in instead of trying to push his ass in from the outside. I got him in there and he jumped out a few times. I fought with him a bit and then I sat on the side of the tub to catch my breathe and he just laid down in the corner...sort of letting me know that he was there for the duration. I just called in human reinforcements and that did it. A few creatures with opposible thumbs can certainly outsmart one creature with paws. Well, at least we outweighed the brute. Maybe outsmart isn't exactly the right word to use.

The only thing that we've done besides take care of Payton is to go to the Georgia Aquarium. I only have two more months to use my passes. I suppose you've heard about the drought down here...it's even affecting the aquarium. The water in all the tanks was down at least halfway. I can't imagine what good that does anyone. I guess it looks good to the public but I don't think we need to have any PR for the aquarium...we should just have good homes for the fish. They didn't ask to be there so I don't know why they're making it tough for them. Do you really think they've saved THAT much water that it would be worth it to have the fish so close to each other? I don't think it could possibly be worth what I saw yesterday.

I'd feel better if the fish were taken care of the way they had been cared for. I'll stick a brick in my toilet tank for the cause. If everyone in Georgia did that I bet the aquarium would have enough water to give the fish back their homes. So...that's my cause for today. If you live in Georgia, stick a brick in your toilet tank for the fish. If enough of us do that, maybe the powers that be will put the water back in the tanks for the fish...ya think?

Meg

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea - if you had started the crusade earlier, maybe there wouldn't be a water shortage right now.
Conserving water shouldn't be a last ditch effort is what I think I'm saying.

November 11, 2007  
Blogger akakarma said...

Did you try Advantage? I've always had good luck with that. Whatever you do do NOT use Hartz! It gave my bro-in-laws doggie a rash that led to lots of vet bills and I almost killed a kitten with it once! Bad stuff!

November 12, 2007  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I won't use Hartz! I gave the medicine to the cats and dead or dying fleas are droping off of them. I'm the only animal here without any protection and just the thought of that is making me scratch all over!

Anon, I wasn't in on the drought thing. I'm a nurse. I take care of sick people. There are other folks who did take jobs to help us figure that crap out. Let them be on top of this one. I'm busy being a nurse. If someone put me on the job for the water stuff, I'd deal with that. I didn't evn notice there was a drought going on. I'm happy the dog doesn't go out in the mud.

BUT...when they start hurting FISH! Well, that's where I step in!

:):):)

November 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home