.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

I tend to be a bit on the conservative side...

...with an occasional liberal slant. Once when I was working on a congressional campaign, I ended up at the courthouse the night of the election. My job was to call the candidate at his party with the results from Cobb County. I was there along with reps from other candidates and I ended up sitting with a bunch of Democrats as we waited for the election returns.

We had a nice time chatting and eventually, we got to the subject of campaign issues. A few of them told me that I sounded more like a liberal than a conservative. That's because I am not loyal to either party. I couldn't tell you that I was a Republican or a Democrat because my views are all over the place.

My opinions are one thing. I may think that marriage should be between a man and a woman, but I'm not a hater of gay people. Not to sound corny but, some of my best friends are gay. I absolutely do NOT judge these people. As I've said before, no one gave me that job. I find it extremely arrogant to judge any other human being on this planet unless of course, you happen to be a judge. All of us are far too imperfect to be in any position to judge others.

Sitting in judgement of another human being is not only arrogant, it's a waste of time. But apparently, many people in the world feel as though they are not only in a position to judge others, they are going FAR out of their way to harass those who have done nothing more than mourn a loved one:

The Fayetteville Observer reported Wednesday a Kansas church plans a "gospel picket" on the death of 23-year-old Army Spc. Megan L. Touma, of Cold Spring, Ky...Westboro Baptist Church is seeking a city permit for July 16. The church has organized harassment of mourners at funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, saying war casualties are divine revenge for America tolerating gays and lesbians.

Army Spc. Megan L. Touma was 7 months pregnant when she was found dead in a hotel room bathroom. This young woman was a soldier and she was part of the Armed Forces who, like it or not, are there for our protection. We may not always agree with their orders, but orders are what these people follow. They very well may disagree with the orders, but their job is to follow them nonetheless.

I find it so hypocritical that a church would organize such a cruel and senseless waste of time. These people call themselves Christians. I assume that these yahoos are familiar with a book called The Bible. In that book, you will find these words:


Lk. 6.3738, 4142

1. Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Mk. 4.24
3. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4. Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5. Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
6. Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Now, whether or not you or I believe in the Holy Book is not the point. The point is that a group of supposed Christians who CLAIM to live by that good Book have taken it upon themselves to decide who amongst us is worthy of the respect that every human being deserves. I think this proves to all of us that if there is a Satan, he seems to be working very hard through a group of so called Christians in the Westboro Baptist Church.

If, within the walls of a church, a congregation wants to preach against homosexuality, they have that right. But what on Earth gives them the right to leave the confines of their own church and follow fellow Americans around at one of the most solemn and heartbreaking occasions that any of us can possibly imagine, the funeral of a loved one?

If, for one moment, you doubt that this is a group of hateful people, consider the name of their very own web site:

http://www.godhatesfags.com/

I wasn't aware that God had the ability to hate anyone, much less those that He created Himself.

A group of Army wives have organised themselves and will be protesting the hatemongers. If you are close enough to any of the scheduled protests (the web site has a list of them), please go out and stand between the hands of Satan and those whom they hate so badly.

Found on http://imnobetterthanu.blogspot.com/2008/07/it-is-so-easy.html, a better picture of Christians and a VERY UPLIFTING STORY:


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you think of Jesse jackson and what he said about obama? Wasn't that stupid?

July 10, 2008  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Yeah it was stupid, Jackson admits that himself. But it could happen to anyone so it doesn't really affect anything one way or another. I voted for Reagan and he joked that he would begin bombing Russia in "5 minutes" into a hot mic. Russia went on miltary alert after that happened. It could happen to anyone.

:)

July 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home