.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Since I broke my foot...

...I've had to spend a lot of time with it elevated so I've been watching more TV than I usually would. The other day I was so bored that I actually watched some show on VH1 or MTV or something like that called The Greatest 100 Teenage Idols. I noticed that they didn't even TRY to add the line, "of all time." That's good because I didn't know who most of them were but it seems as though at least 98% of them are "now in their mid 30's."

The first 5 teenage idols that I could name are now in their mid 50's and 60's if not older. I was surprised to see Donny Osmond on that list of 12 year olds. I didn't watch it all but I'm pretty sure that Donny was the oldest of them all. Oh wait, maybe David Cassidy was a tad older...but that's as old as it got.

How could ANYONE have a Greatest teen idol list and NOT have Elvis, James Dean or Sinatra on it? I shouldn't expect more than that from a channel that has retrospectives about the 70's with people born in the 80's commenting as though they were anywhere NEAR the 70's. I can't believe they couldn't find people who were there to actually remember the 70's. I'm right here, it's not like we fought WWI and there are only 12 of us left...I could find a baseball team full of people who remember the 70's today if wanted to. And I could fill the stands with more of them tomorrow.

It's not that the hippies have really gone anywhere, it's just that arthritis keeps them from attending any decent sit-in's. I loved that way of protesting, you just SAT there. It was a helluva lot easier than marching around with signs. But at my age it's not getting down there that's a challenge...it's getting back up that gets ya.

Another thing that I watched was the movie Walk the Line. I thought that I had seen it but most of it looked totally foreign to me so I think I may have seen part of it. I was so sure that I had seen it that I even remember thinking that it was a good movie. Maybe I felt that way because I heard so many people say it.

Now let me earn the wrath of anyone who liked that movie. I didn't like it. I missed the very first part of it but I assume it only set up the affair that Johnny was having with June Carter. The rest of the movie was them cheating, him doing drugs and her trying to stop him from doing drugs. How the hell is THAT entertainment?!

I don't understand the tendency of the media to romanticise such behavior. I would think that they could easily do a movie about Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix or John Belushi and do it in a way that shows the dangers of drug use. If the industry continues to make heroes out of drug addicts, we'll just keep on having kids die on the streets of Hollywood and the rest of the country.

I don't know why that movie garnered such good reviews, there really wasn't much to it. I think most of us could have written that story easily enough. I suppose the acting was adequate, but really, how hard is it to play a drug addict? And it certainly seems easy enough to play a mistress, most famous actresses have played the role in real life. I can't deny that they sang well, but other than that, the movie totally offended me.

I also found some old Honeymooner reruns on WGN. That was a treat. They aren't on regularly, just that night for some reason.

I love watching the old black and white reruns. They make me feel so comfortable. Almost like a little trip back in time. There are some of those shows that I know so well I could do the dialogue myself. I bet you couldn't trip me up on a trivia question regarding Dick Van Dyke or Andy Griffith. I'm such an Andy fan that I even went to his hometown, Mt. Airy NC. That town was the inspiration for Mayberry.

Just in case there are any of you out there old enough, or like Seth MacFarland, simply smart enough...I'm going to create a quick trivia quiz of old TV shows. Let's see how old you guys are! I'll start out easy and throw in some tough ones so it's enough of a challenge for everyone:

1. Who was the barber on Andy Griffith?

2. What TV show did Rob Petrie write for?

3. What did Beaver's father do when he was in the service?

4. What was Laura Petrie's maiden name?

5. Who originally played Norton's wife on the Honeymooners?

6. What role did Vivian Vance make famous?

7. On what TV show was The Flinstones based?

8. Before being marooned on a desert island, on what TV show did Bob Denver appear as a regular and what was his character's name?

9. What got Barney Fife kicked out of his rented room?

10. Who played Rob Petrie's brother on the Dick Van Dyke Show?

11. What future TV star played a manicure girl who made all the wives of Mayberry jealous on The Andy Griffith Show?

12. Name Andy's first and last girlfriends from The Andy Griffith Show.

13. What "dance craze" was performed in bowling shoes on the Dick Van Dyke Show?

14. What did Ricky Ricardo do for a living?

15. What was the name of the lodge that Kramden and Norton belonged to?

16. On what show would you have seen "the FUN girls"?

17. Name the show that had Uncle Charlie on it as a regular from the beginning to the end.

18. Who played Daddy in Make Room for Daddy?

19. Which of these character's smoked:
A. Laura Petrie
B. Lucy Ricardo
C. Andy Taylor
D. Steve Douglas

20. What "pet name" did Sally Rodgers give "all my fella's"?


The answers are in the comment below.

18-20 correct answers-Go ahead and get to the nursing home.

15-17 correct answers-You still have hope...and arthritis.

10-14 correct answers-Not bad for someone who is still young enough to drink until they say, "I AIN'T GOT NO MORE LIQUOR!!!"

5-9 correct answers-If your parents are divorced, tell your father that I'd like to meet him.

1-4 correct answers-You aren't even old enough to be reading this blog!

Zero correct answers-It's nappy time.

6 Comments:

Blogger Meg Kelso said...

1. Who was the barber on Andy Griffith?

Floyd

2. What TV show did Rob Petrie write for?

The Alan Brady Show

3. What did Beaver's father do when he was in the service?

He was in the CB's.

4. What was Laura Petrie's maiden name?

She actually had two..Meeker and Meehan.

5. Who originally played Norton's wife on the TV show The Honeymooners?

Joyce Randolph

6. What role did Vivian Vance make famous?

Ethel Mertz

7. On what TV show was The Flinstones based?

The Honeymooners

8. Before being marooned on a desert island, on what TV show did Bob Denver appear as a regular and what was his character's name?

The Dobie Gillis Show, he played Maynard B. Krebbs

9. What got Barney Fife kicked out of his rented room?

He was cooking on a hot plate.

10. Who played Rob Petrie's brother on the Dick Van Dyke Show?

Jerry Van Dyke

11. What future TV star played a manicure girl who made all the wives of Mayberry jealous on The Andy Griffith Show?

Barbara Eden

12. Name Andy's first and last girlfriends from The Andy Griffith Show.

Ellie Walker was the first and the show ended while he was dating Helen Crump.

13. What "dance craze" was performed in bowling shoes on the Dick Van Dyke Show?

The Twizzle

14. What did Ricky Ricardo do for a living?

He was a band leader.

15. What was the name of the lodge that Kramden and Norton belonged to?

The Raccoon Lodge

16. On what show would you have seen "the FUN girls"?

Andy Griffith

17. Name the show that had Uncle Charlie on it as a regular from the beginning to the end.

My Three Sons

18. Who played Daddy in Make Room for Daddy?

Danny Thomas

19. Which of these character's smoked:
A. Laura Petrie
B. Lucy Ricardo
C. Andy Taylor
D. Steve Douglas

All of them although Douglas smoked a pipe.

20. What "pet name" did Sally Rodgers have for "all of her "fella's""?

Mr. Deefenthaler

July 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really hate the movie, "Walk the line"

I felt the first wife's pain when Johnny started to hang those June Carter frames up in his home and then in front of his wife.

That act upsets me - I feel the same brick in my stomach the day my ex left me whenever I see it.

Maybe I'm traumatized.

How can some people be so damn cruel and not even realize it?

July 15, 2008  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Ignorant self absorbed fucks have no problem with that type of behavior. Remember what he said when he was hanging them up? "It's my band."

There's always an excuse.

:)

July 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a perfect score until the last question. That was a zinger!

July 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about Walk the Line. It takes a certain sense of humor for this movie but Walk Hard to me was hilarious because it makes fun of all the musician tragedies including Walk the Line. My favorite part is the Dad goes around saying "The wrong boy died" over and over which reminded me of Richie Valens mom in Labomba. Most people I know didn't care for it but I thought it was hilarious.

July 15, 2008  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I hadn't heard of that one, I'll have to look for it.

I've been told that I have a "certain sense of humor".

:):)

July 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home