.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

How do they do this???

"...I am looking at the front of your house red car in the car port, white plastic chairs on the front porch....standing at the street (Polk) there are two big trees to the left and a smaller one between them, white rock around it and in the bed out front pine tree to the right....now I am no expert....but there has to be enough clearance if you put the dish on the roof, at the carport, center of the drive way ...it faces south right?...if they had to do that mount it on a post in the yard...then see if they can put it closer to that little tree to the west between the two big ones..."

A friend of mine read about my problem with the satellite dish and somehow (I don't know how yet) he saw my house online. He's in Chicago so it HAD to be online. I know about Google Earth but you usually only see from the sky. I know some streets in major cities have street level views but not a small residential neighborhood...right?

How did this dude see my house? He described it to a tee. (Whatever that means.) And he's right, the house does face south.

That's how I know which way is which...I know which way my house points. But after I drive a couple of miles away, you have no clue which direction is which because the roads aren't on a grid system. In Chicago, they had a grid system and The Sears Tower which was always to the east of me. So, I couldn't get too lost back home. It doesn't matter how long I stay in these non-grid cities, I can't find my way around them at all.

It's not bad enough that the roads wind around so you can't possibly know which way you're facing without a compass, but then they change the names of the roads every few miles. The street a block south of me starts as Roswell Road east of me and then within 2 miles it changes to Roswell Street, South Park Street, Whitlock, and then Dallas Highway. It's Dallas Highway until you get to Dallas Georgia. Then it becomes Marietta Highway. None of it is designed to keep things simple. You get the idea that the Hatfields and McCoys had something to do with putting the roads in around here.

One road actually winds in a circle. it's the Atlanta Bypass, or as they call it here, The Perimeter. It actually has north, east, west and south signs along the way. I guess that's a little joke the sign makers played on us. The first time I took someone to the Atlanta airport, I took 285 South. You'd think that you would go home the opposite way, 285 North. But I was wrong, I needed to wait for 285 West. I didn't even know that was an option! My mistake had me going 50 miles out of my way because I had to go the long way around the city of Atlanta. That's something you don't do twice.

There's no Sears Tower here but they do have a Big Chicken. It's a 3 story chicken on top of a one story chicken place. They tried to tear it down but the people around here were up in arms and there was such a protest that they ended up leaving the damn chicken where it was.

One day I was driving up Roswell Road and I stopped at the red light by the Big Chicken. I looked up and noticed that one of it's eyes had stopped spinning. I didn't think much about it, the beak was still moving and the right eye was still spinning, I just figured they would replace a fuse or something and then it would spin again. I drove away and forgot about the Big Chicken's paralyzed eyeball.


The Big Chicken
The Big Chicken is a famous landmark standing high above Marietta since the early 1960's. Locals cannot give directions to places in Marietta without referencing the Big Chicken

When I got home, I turned on the news and guess what they were talking about? Yep..."Marietta's famous Big Chicken left eye stops spinning...details at 6!" They love their Chicken here. It's a major landmark for giving directions..."Drive straight for 2 miles until you see the Big Chicken, then slow down because you'll be turning left AT the Big Chicken." It's not tall enough to help like the Sears Tower is but I guess that's why they have Waffle Houses. You simply cannot give directions in Atlanta without saying, "You pass the Waffle House and then turn right at the next light."

Oh! I forgot to tell you something...I was mowing my lawn the other day and the lawn mower stopped working. I don't know why...but it did. When FB was on his way out yesterday, he asked me about my lawn mower which was sitting right there. He showed me this little switchie thing that you can push or pull to allow gas into the carburetor. Then he pulled the rope starter pullie thing and it worked! Of course, he showed me that it was almost bone dry as far as oil was concerned so I got some yesterday. Today I'll go put it in and mow that damn lawn once and for all. That is, as long as it doesn't rain.

And this time I will spray OFF all over myself so that no little chiggers, spiders or gnats get on me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home