.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Who's the racist?

"...there is so much racism and intolerance in this post!...Calling them "towel heads" and implying that they are all terrorists is so "southern" of you. I'd have to say that the southern states are the most stupid, and you do a great job of proving that point!..."

So says the freakin' pharisee. I'm not going to bother pointing out the obvious failings of a nit wit who has 2 numbers in his IQ...both under 5. I will say that I specifically added "SOME" Iranians. I know they have some good ones...I saw the movie Not Without My Daughter.

But, in case anyone else out there thinks that "towel head" is a racist term, could you tell me why? This is another example of how different perceptions of the meaning of racism can cause a problem. The guy who said that there was only ONE definition of racism, technically...was right. But practically speaking...he couldn't have been more wrong.

The definition of racism remains constant but the acts that society (and certain individuals) perceive as racist change with the times. My grandfather was absolutely NOT a racist but he used the term "nigger" in reference to black people. As hideous as that sounds to us now (and to me then for that matter), he meant absolutely no disrespect. When I was a little girl, the term "colored people" was used to refer to black people. Then came the days of "Black Power" and those who said that "We aren't colored...we're BLACK!"

Years later, the term "African American" was preferred over black and already I'm hearing black people say, "We're just AMERICANS!"

One day I wrote an article about the Japanese people and at one point I used the term "Orientals". I was bombarded with mail telling me that "Oriental" is now considered racist and we must say "Asian". How ridiculous is that? Oriental means East. Occidental means West. We're Occidentals, they're Orientals. How is that any more racist than using the term "Middle Easterners"?

And as I pointed out, a LOT of Iranians DO wear towels on their heads...how is that racist? I'm a redhead, I've dated a couple Cheese-heads. My ex had a bald head, the one before that was a bonehead. The baldheaded one was also a pothead. It seems as though all of them were chowderheads, my next hubby will have to be somewhat of an egghead. The boneheaded ex married a cokehead, she's a bit of a hothead and she acts like a shithead. I used to be a Dead Head but I'm starting to act more like an old blue head. My towheaded brother wore a flathead in the 60's. My first husband was a Jarhead and he was also quite the thickheaded fathead. So, to the knucklehead who thinks that "towel head" is racist, you are one dunderheaded blockhead. My guess is that you're also a hotheaded skinhead. What happened to give you such a swelled head?

Now, which of those sentences was racist? Here's a hint, you'll find it exactly where you look for it. If you don't look for it, you won't see much of it.

Original post:

http://diaryofmydivorce.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-was-lying-in-my-bed.html

5 Comments:

Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

you get an e for effort but a b for spelling - its knucklehead, bevis...LOL

October 20, 2008  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Damn it, I knew that. OK, I can fix that!!!!

October 20, 2008  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Hey! Tossing bombs at them is one thing, but name calling? SHAME!

October 20, 2008  
Blogger Christo Gonzales said...

especially when you say it like this - free - ta ta...

October 20, 2008  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I don't think we are improving. That's usually my point in the first place. We did improve, until the 80's, and then chaos ensued and now We Are At 451.

October 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home