.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

If you use Twitter...

...and haven't already come across tweeter http://twitter.com/Tweepism2 , you should be aware of the tactics that I have noticed so that you might save time by NOT following this particular twit.

I am just going to tell you what happened with me...you decide what to make of it.

One day Tweepism2 tweeted that I was a "great tweeter". Well be that as it may, I was the not the only "great tweeter" in his tweet.

Intrigued, I went to check out one of my co-tweeter "greats" and found a chick who had only tweeted once...months ago. My humorously pithy tweets ;) were being grouped along with a chick who set up a Twitter account and immediately forgot about it last February. One red flag.

This morning I found myself proclaiming some article "great", along with other tweeters I have never heard of. My name was being used to hawk some site that sold stuff. I hadn't tweeted him/her/they at all, nor did I read the article I was supposed to be promoting. Two red flags.

The third flag is on me so I decided to prevent it by blocking Tweepism2. That may or may not help...I don't know; I'm a relative ingenue when it comes to navigating Twitterland. But I'm not stupid enough to continue a Twitter affiliation with a Tweeter who follows NO ONE yet has 100 followERS. Well, maybe 99 now that I've blocked him/her/them.

I'm sure that many people have caught on to this particular...let's see, I don't want to call it a scam, that's not verbally correct...how about ruse? Shell game? Flimflam? Snow job? Contrivance? Yeah...I'll be generous and call it a contrivance. Some, like me, were and are unaware of such contrivances...so here it is.

There. Now let me write something fun...that was just a PSA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home