.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, September 04, 2009

I Don't Like Spiders and Snakes

Lately I’ve been going to Classmates.com to get to some pretty good music. The music is one of the benefits that come with a free account. I’m sure there’s an easier way to get to music but what the heck, it’s still easier than trying to get the needle to the beginning of a song on an album.

Classmates can be quite the spammer but I never toss them in the spam bin because they’re a VERY intriguing spammer, aren’t they? I’ll open spam if there’s a possibility that I might find out whether or not my high school nemesis ever did develop the leprosy I wished upon her in 1974. So, this morning I opened it again.

Today the reunion website offered the option of making a short song list. Who doesn’t need one more song list? So, I went for it.

Now, there were 2 things of which I was unaware when I decided to take the time to choose 10 songs from a long list and use them to create my short list. First of all, I didn’t know that my list would become a part of my Classmates profile.

You know, Donny and Marie had a song on that long list. What if I had chosen THAT? The song was Deep Purple so I didn’t have to think twice about passing on it. But…what if they had listed ‘I’m Leaving it All Up to You’? I might have chosen that song and without knowing, I would have made a Classmates.com nerd out of myself. Now that I know how to act cool, I’m really trying hard to avoid reacquiring my nerd status of high school. A Donny and Marie song on my playlist could be as devastating as were the purple hot pants I wore on the first day of high school. I couldn’t live that one down in 4 years. Who knows how long I’d have to spend re-cooling myself after placing a Donny and Marie song on my playlist? Penny Sehr got hit in the head for carrying a Donny Osmond folder to class in 1972. I sure as hell don’t want to see what happens when you publicly support Donny AND Marie.

The other little factoid that eluded me as I was carefully choosing songs like Bohemian Rhapsody (WHEW!), was the fact that, while I could create as many song lists as my little heart desired…for free…I can’t seem to listen to them without paying something. I’m not sure about that, but it wasn’t easy to do and I usually stop trying after simplicity fails.

Anyway, playlists with 10 songs on them get old so I’ll stick with the HUGE list of three thousand five hundred and eighty four songs that I can get easily and for free. There’s one down side…it’s nice to hear a song you had totally forgotten about after 30 years, but when you hear it every 26 hours or so…no matter how good the song is…it starts to get on your nerves. Frankie Valli was fine in the 70’s and he’s nice to hear once every few months, but there’s a reason I don’t have any of his albums. I don’t want to hear ‘Breaking up is Hard to Do’ more than twice a decade.

And who gave Debbie Boone the best song prize in ‘77 for ‘You Light up My Life’? I didn’t get it then and it’s even more vexing today. She couldn’t sing a lick.

Oh well, I was pretty into ‘Spiders and Snakes’ so what do I know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home