.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Either I'm having a run...

...on hoarders or the problem is all over and exploding. If you try to clean anything in a hoarder's home, there WILL be a negative altercation. That is because, as everyone knows, the first thing to go is the trash. Herein lies the problem. People have differing ideas on what is considered trash. At a friend's house, I tried to throw away party favors, like those stupid hats with rubber bands, the blow thingies and napkins. You'd have thought that I had kidnapped one of her kids. Her youngest is 10 and wouldn't be caught dead wearing a rubber band hat and the entire household had their birthdays in the previous 6 months and no one asked, "Don't I get those blow thingies? I want to toot."

That was a while back. But hoarding has reared it's ugly head again. This is a conversation that I just had:

Me: "Wait a minute, I'll give you the bucket to throw away after I fill it with trash."

Hoarder: "I'm not throwing away that bucket."

Me: "Why not?"

Hoarder: "It's a good bucket."

Me: "We can go out and drink 6 more beers and get another one if we need it."

Hoarder: "But it's a perfectly good bucket."

Me: "A lot of stuff is perfectly good AND garbage. We can't keep everything we think we may use in the after-life."

I THINK I won that one, the bucket seems to be gone. But, you never know, I could find it under a sink. Anyway, hoarders are annoying.

7 Comments:

Anonymous George said...

Hoarding is definetly a tough thing to deal with, hard to watch when someone cannot let their garbage go.

October 13, 2011  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

OMG! It's awful. You can't tell me there isn't vermin of some sort in there. I thought I was a sloppy housekeeper, but the house is clean once a day and the trash is all gone once a week.

October 18, 2011  
Blogger lorna said...

Letting go of stuff should always be easier than letting go of people.

October 29, 2011  
Blogger David Hereford,MSIT said...

I agree with you with regards to hoarding however I feel that many times people have an internal need that the hoarding satisfies. As a social worker in a long term facility, I have many residents that hoard and in many of these cases its because they have a fear of losing. They are getting older and losing their physical abilities as will as family, friends and homes creates a physical need for them to put things back or hoard. I believe hoarding is only a symptom of a deeper condition. If we solve the condition the symptom will stop

November 16, 2011  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Oh, I'm sure that there's a psychologic reason behind hoarding, there's one behind everything else. I just don't care, I'm here to bitch, and bitch I shall.

:)

November 22, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Dave.
Just lemme know when you raise the dead. I'm an old widow with some dead people I want to come back to life, but the rest of them-in case you accomplish this task-are strictly catch and release.
Deal?
TW

May 21, 2012  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Apparently, they haven't found a way to successfully sue our higher power and collect that award...yet.

May 21, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home