.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

This Is One Of Those Days...

..when I would enjoy having a sweet glass of wine or a tasty highball. It would be nice, but I do hate a hangover. Feeling like death warmed over isn't as appealing to a person as they, themselves, get closer to death. It's just plum not worth it the next day. I do have fun when I drink, I guess that's why I used to do it so much. I only think about drinking when I'm feeling festive, not when I'm feeling down. The problem is that feeling festive gets me in a lot of trouble. My festivity seems to encourage me to say, "What the hell...l'chaim!!!" My festivity sings that old Grass Roots song 'Live For Today' to me and I just can't resist 60's music. There's little I enjoy more than driving down the highway listening to great 60's stuff in a particularly nice automobile.

The automobile I have access to right now doesn't qualify. The owner calls it a real "classic", whatever that means. I didn't know there was an official granting of that status...what exactly is a classic? Well, one mans classic is another man's old piece of shit that just doesn't know enough to fall apart yet. This dude allegedly sunk 3,200 bucks into the "engine". His logic tells him that he should get that back PLUS the value of the car. Apparently he thinks putting a good engine into an old car suddenly makes it something more valuable than the car would be if it had an old engine that  ran. The car has suddenly become car-PLUS. The value of the car in TOP condition was around $1,500 but dude thinks he should get $6,500.

He also thinks he's gonna get 4 grand for a trade-in on a decent new car. Whatever. I don't know how some people can exist in society for so long with so little perception of how things work.

Anyway, I'm rarely festive but I am bordering on festive right now. I feel the festivity inside of me but I can handle this. I have a fork full of peanut butter in front of me. I know I should have a spoon but I was in a hurry and grabbed the only utensil in the dish-rack which was a fork. OK then, I'm off to eat my peanut butter.


9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Meg,
You gotta clue us "car guy" types in on what make & model & year of this classic. It's possible that there's some merit in the guys line of thinking.
If you'll tell me the specifics on the car I'll really appreciate your effort. I love old cars and I may even love his.
Thanks, Kyle from Knoxville.

May 17, 2012  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Dude,

I thought you knew me better than that. I know what a fricking classic car is. This one is a 1990 Nissan 300 XZ. OK? Now, what do you think...car guy?

May 17, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do know you better than that! Now what I think is that you're 100% correct on this. Worth $1500 tops in excellent condition. Trade in value on this car is nil. It would bring more selling it for scrap metal than what it would actually bring in as a savings on a new car.
Now....on the other hand if his car was only about 20 years older then you'd have this > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/True-Survivor-One-Owner-Collector-Datsun-/160797564037?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2570481c85

Notice the condition of this one owner Florida gem and its truly reasonable $12,500 price tag. THIS is a car that a true "car guy" loves.
Kyle from Knoxville

May 17, 2012  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

That link took me to a goodle search, then to eBay and the first page of cars. But, I told him he'd be LUCKY to get 1,500. The paint job is fine but that's all, the interior is in fair condition. and I don't mean the AC. I'll post a pic. BRB!!!

May 17, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture reminds me of why I'm not interested in looking at any vehicle parked facing the exit/road.
How many other parts of the tranny are MIA besides "reverse?"
"Dude" is bat-shit crazy, BTW. But you knew that right? I hope his ego isn't as inflated/suffering from delusions of grandeur as the price tag on this POS.
TW

May 17, 2012  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Yes...I did. And yes...it is.

May 17, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cars like this have utility that is not immediately apparent.
You can use the trunk for an ice chest.
You don't have to look when you park.
I wouldn't expect a woman to recognize these unique qualities. But men never miss them.

May 17, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg, didn't you have another (hundred) "Dudes" with similar or the same....."issues?"
Not to get all kinds of meta/PC/whatever, but it seems life presents us with the same themes/challenges over and over again until we finally learn the lesson. I'm not sure delusions of grandeur is a terminal condition for the "sufferer" but it sure is for everyone around them.
Just an observation and a life time of experience with over-sized male egos and undersized heads-both of them. With some of these guys you can attempt to "supersize" their brains and end up with a faint glimmer the size of a pin-head.
Which can only be discerned by the most sensitive scan available to science.
TW

May 17, 2012  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Oh, I learned alright. I'm just sort of stuck. We should talk. I see what's going on, for what good that does.

May 18, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home