.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Those of you who've known me for any length of time know that I'm a nurse. And, no matter how long you've known me, if you've been around lately you know that I'm often a patient as well. That puts me in a very unique position from which I can critique other nurses. Also, my innate open minded nature and emphatic enthusiasm for the truth add to my perfect fit for this task. I guess that's what happens when you come from a family full of attorneys...I've even donated my own son to the cause. So, when Meg writes, somebody reads. The fact that you're here is my proof. Anyway, I felt a responsibility to tell people something about Florida Hospital... Fletcher Road.

I would certainly tell you if I had encountered a poor nursing staff. For that reason alone, I need to tell  you about the best nursing care that I have ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I' ve worked with some superb nurses. But, never, ever have I been privy to facility with a staff of 100% superb nurses. Luckily I didn't have to visit every single unit, but I did my time in the ICU. I forgot the number but it was the unit Brittany worked on. I adored her, but, then again, if I start naming great nurses, I'll leave one out, but as I said, I didn't have a less than superb nurse. I also spent some time in the recovery room after an angiogram. I started bleeding...AGAIN!!!...only this time I bled out. You may remember that last time I bled in.

Anyway, throughout every step of my stay, I was either scared, obnoxious or vomiting. And the entire time I was there, I was in pain. The response of the nurses was always professional, empathetic and kind. I've flaked out much less and had nurses who wouldn't speak to me unless absolutely necessary, would NOT make eye contact with me and ensured that I knew that they did not like me. The contrast between that type of  nurse and the nurses who cared for me during my most recent stay is like the difference between a lobster and a koala bear...two totally different creatures. When you feel poorly and act like a fool, eventually you feel like a fool. It's easier to act normal again if you know that your nurse is giving you unconditional care. The kindness I was shown when I was being obnoxious, bleeding or hurting, made me feel much more secure that I was in good hands although I had been nursing for years when most of them were born!

I've worked in nursing administration for years, often being in charge of hiring and firing. I like to think that I was an excellent nurse, whether I was working at the bedside or in an office. But I must say, I don't know how you hire exclusively excellent nurses. Kudos to whomever it is that does the hiring at Florida Hospital!

I would be remiss should I leave out the medical staff. Doctors Lefler and Hypolite were the two best doctors that I've ever had the good fortune to be able to call my own. They were actually concerned about me, in more ways than most doctors would be. Ordinarily, I can perceive the defensive medical treatment I'm receiving. Dr. Lefler took time out of his busy day to tell me how he makes Indian food because of his own dietary restrictions. How often does a doctor take the time to chat with a patient? It made me feel comfortable, safe and cared about. Of course he did a great job on my angiogram. Dr. Hypolite was actually concerned about my comfort and she did the best she could to keep my pain under control. She was also professional and friendly, two things that make a patient less afraid.

I will never forget these people and they will forever be the standard to which I compare all other health care providers. The techs, the food service staff and yes, even the house keepers were all friendly and if I didn't know any better, I'd say they were all magically graced with the talent, good humor and kindness that should be the norm, but sadly is not. That is, of course, unless you are lucky enough to be a patient at Florida Hospital on Fletcher Av.

Thank you again!

By the way, here is a smile from me to you:

http://diaryofmydivorce.blogspot.com/2006/07/my-dog-just-farted.html

And here is a bit of why I love being a nurse:

http://diaryofmydivorce.blogspot.com/search?q=His+name+was+Frank+Barker+and+he+was+a+very+kind

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home