.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

I haven’t been able to...

...find my glasses since I woke up this morning. I hate that. I’m the only one here and I can’t SEE to find the stupid spectacles. I don’t remember where I took them off, right next to the couch, I would assume. Let me go look there again...Nope, not there. Oh well. I am supposed to drive somewhere today but I can’t without my glasses.

I just did that thing that I do, the dishes. They never seem to go away, do they? I couldn’t work out in the yard today because it rained just enough to make mud. So, I’ve been trying to come up with things to keep me busy. I never did get to go out and have some fun this weekend...I started to a couple of times, even got all dressed but then, for one reason or another I didn’t do what I wanted to do. That’s OK, I doubt that I missed anything. It’s pretty boring out there all by yourself, isn’t it? I see other people with someone and I miss that. I really do want to find someone that I can do things with...it would be so nice. Especially if the guy liked to do interesting things. I can only sit in so many movie theaters. After a while, it’s nice to just dress up and go out and have a nice evening. I remember that from being single.

Once they get married, too many people sort of settle in and forget to date each other. There’s no reason for that. Married couples should always date...It doesn’t even have to be that often, every couples of months isn’t asking too much...I would have appreciated it.

My ex and I always went out. And living in Chicago, we went to some nice places. If nothing else, we did have fun. He wasn’t a complete waste of time. Vex, on the other hand, would have never offered to go out to a nice restaurant. We went out to eat, but in the past ten years, we only went to a really nice dinner once...and that was because we had a gift card for one of the nicest restaurants in Atlanta. It was about to expire if we didn’t use it so I finally had to force him to go. That was fun. It really does make a woman feel good when her husband WANTS her to get all dressed up and go out with him. If you haven't done so, you should try it.

You know, I was thinking about what a neat thing the fly-swatter is. That sucker hasn’t changed in my lifetime and from what I’ve seen in movies, it hasn’t changed much at all in the past hundred years. I don’t know what I’d do to improve upon it, maybe I’d make a swankier handle (that wire is tacky). But the killing apparatus seems to work efficiently...and either I’m getting proficient or the flies are getting slower because I’m squashing those bastards left and right. My father used to say to leave the dead ones on the window sill as a warning to the others. That never worked. (He was pretty young when he said that, I’ll have to ask him why.) Anyway, I’m not leaving fly carcasses lying around the kitchen.

Hell, if that notion worked, there wouldn’t be so many flies on any one fly strip. Weren’t those some nasty little things? I don’t know why anyone would want one of those in their house...it would just FREAK ME OUT.

Especially those flies that are only stuck by a little piece of wing, you know, they sit there writhing about in the most pitifully futile manner. Sometimes you can even hear them and that’s just too yucky for me. I couldn’t handle living with a strip full of dead, dying and decaying fly remains. I don’t mind the fly-swatter, though. I kind of like it. The dog has chewed the end of it but it still works like a charm. Fully functional fly flattener, for effectively flushing out fricking flying life forms.

So, that’s been my day, doing dishes and assassinating flies. Every where I have ever lived, since I was old enough to reach the sink, the dishes have been my job. When I was a kid, I was the oldest so I had to do them. When I got married, I was the wife so I had to do them. When I was single, I was the Mom and I had to do them. When I married Vex, somebody had to do them. It usually ended up being the person who is annoyed by dirty dishes. That’s why I’m always doing them. I don’t have a dishwasher and my father thinks that is a disgrace. Is it? The house is fine...there just isn’t a dishwasher. Is that as terrible as my father seems to think it is?

Or, is it just me? Are there a bunch of people washing dishes? Am I really as oppressed as my father would have me believe? I tend to think that there ARE a lot of people doing dishes by hand...am I right?

Once again, I’m just curious.

Now, I'm going to make a nice dinner. I wish there was someone to share it with.:(

Meg

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

About TV ... When I was young in the early 50's, people in my hometown neighborhood were just beginning to buy TVs. The closest TV station was 90 miles away in Charlotte so peolpe needed a pretty high antenna to receive the signal. Many local ministers referred to the anrennae as Devil's Tails.

June 26, 2005  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

WOW! I would love to hear why they felt that way! Did you listen in church? LOL...maybe you can remember what they were afraid of? I am still doing an occasional search but I am missing something...I'll figure it out.

June 26, 2005  
Blogger Anne Arky said...

Meg,
Your father is wrong -- lots of people still wash dishes. I did not have a dishwasher at my last apartment (which I only left in November). After I had lived there for awhile, the management began putting them in newly vacated ones, and I had the option of getting one, but I would have lost quite a big percentage of my cabinet space, so I declined. I have one now, but still end up washing a lot of things either I don't feel it's safe to put in the dishwasher or I will need before I run it again.

Anne with the dishpan hands

June 27, 2005  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I knew it! I knew I wasn't living in the last century! See Dad! Other people DO dishes by hand as well! Palmolive liquid---do your thing! Oh, the next trivia thing will be on old TV commercials!!!! Good idea! Stay tuned for TV Commercial Trivia!!!!


Meggers

June 27, 2005  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

I'm sure that there were people who predicted moral doom when TV was introduced, I just can't find any on the net, I may actually have to go to the GASP library!

June 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home