.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

OK...

...I was the second to the last person to be called at court today. I didn’t get out until afternoon. I was pretty disgusted but it’s over and I’m home. A guy came to get Moby a little while ago. The dude actually asked ME to get that sucker out of the tank. He came in with this huge pool skimmer when a net was required and I think that I can safely say that the guy was afraid of the fish. He said, “Ooh, that’s a big one. I’ve never seen one that big before.” LOL...yeah, he was freaked.

I got a trash bag (a small one, like for the bathroom trash cans) and put it in the aquarium, filled it with water and tried to scoop him up but he touched me and then I freaked. The guy said, “Oh, you had him! You let him go.” I was jumping up and down and going, “Ick, ick, ick” from being touched by the big stupid thing and it dawned on him that he would have to get it. I was just gonna react like that every single time, I’m a girly girl.

Anyway, he eventually got Moby in the bag and brought in a bucket and left with him. He came back an hour later to get his skimmer, which he had forgotten, and told me that Moby was swimming all over. Now he has goldfish that he lives with. You know, it just occurred to me that those things are aggressive. Uh oh. Now I’m freaked again.

I just watched Jeopardy and I was answering all of the questions just as though it were Celebrity Jeopardy, which is, of course, easier than Teen Week. I was answering all of them but I didn’t know final Jeopardy because I didn’t know what kind of gun James Bond used. I have never seen a James Bond movie and the gun was German, I think, for something like “police pistol”. That’s the kind of thing that will get me every single time.

Earlier, I mentioned that book, Let’s Roll, and how it made me feel. I don’t know why something like that would effect me so much, I wouldn’t have thought it would. But it did. I was astonished at how amazingly these people behaved when they absolutely had to. If that plane had left on time, it probably would have crashed into something with people in it.

And, for whatever reason, the hijackers didn’t stop the passengers from using their cell phones so they did. Lisa Beamer wrote about a woman who was on the phone with her husband, Todd, while the hijacking was going on. She relayed to Lisa what transpired in the conversation so we know what transpired in the cockpit that day.

These guys knew that the other planes had hit their targets. They knew that they weren’t going to land if they sat back and did nothing. So, they broke all of the rules of hijacking “etiquette” and rushed the cockpit. They most certainly saved lives that day. I guess I just never realized the enormity of that. Isn’t it amazing?

Of course we would all like to think that we would do the same thing, I certainly think that I would. But these folks happened to be the ones who did and aren’t you grateful? I know I am. Who knows how it might have impacted any one of us had the ending been different that day?

Fortunately, because of what these brave people did, we will never know.

Did you know that the flight attendants boiled water and carried it, spilling it on themselves, as they ran with the men toward the cockpit? I didn’t know that. Todd’s father drove from San Francisco to New Jersey for his son’s memorial service immediately after the disaster and somehow he didn’t drive that car off a cliff, accidentally or on purpose. “Let’s roll” wasn’t just what Todd said that day, it’s what he said to his tiny sons to get them motivated.

There’s really nothing more to say about that, either you get it or you don’t. I think most of us do and that’s why we will never forget what these people did. It’s a shame that they don’t sing folk songs anymore, these guys should have songs written about them and little children should sing them.

See ya,

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home