.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Philadelphia Flyer Rick Tocchet...

...has been busted for gambling and I suppose he must have broken some laws or they wouldn't have arrested him. But the popular player will certainly suffer some type of censure by his sport as Pete Rose did in the sport of baseball. Obviously, the two of them committed some serious breaches of ethics. I find it odd that sports hold their ethics in an extremely stringent manner but other professions stoop to new and improved lows as time goes by.

When my father went to law school, it was considered a breach of ethics to advertise. Nowadays, they do so at will everyday. One attorney calls himself "The Accident Lawyer", essentially making him proud to be an ambulance chaser. There's a commercial that's currently running that asks people who have had body parts implanted to call for a meeting to see if they have a lawsuit. They didn't ask the people to call if they had any problems, apparently that doesn't matter. As long as some doctor somewhere put a body part in them, they have a lawsuit.

So, why is it that we demand so much of a bunch of sportsmen but so little of attorneys? How has it happened that legal ethics have been allowed to go downhill yet an ex-hockey player must hold faithful to some code of ethics that hasn't changed in decades? I don't get it.

I'm not saying that Tocchet shouldn't be punished, I don't know enough about the situation to make that decision. But it seems to me that someone, somewhere needs to reign these attorneys in a bit before we all start paying even higher medical costs and doctors stop performing life saving procedures.

I saw one commercial for a legal group that will give you cash immediately and if they don't win your lawsuit, you don't have to give it back. How insane is that? People are being paid to ASK if they have a potential suit.

I can't seem to get hurt enough to sue anyone. Whenever I start to fall, I catch myself before it occurs to me that I could sue the grocery store if I did fall. That's so fricking irritating...I keep doing it out of self preservation. One of these days, I'm going to really fall down and I'll have one helluva lawsuit against someone. In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to muddle through life hoping that I hit the real lottery because the lawsuit lottery isn't working any better for me.

I suppose that I could do what Tocchet did, I could become a bookie. How tough can that be? I had a girlfriend who was married to one but he died before I could ask him how a person starts up a bookie business. I've heard that the house always wins so it seems like a pretty damned good idea.

The more I think about it, the more I like that idea. I'll be a bookie. If anyone wants to place bets, just let me know.

You know, it just occurred to me that this is a sure way to get the Cubs to win a World Series. If I took a bunch of bets on them to win (which should be a pretty safe thing for a bookie) they will most certainly take the Series in 4 games. I'd be broke and some Italian guy named Guido would be after me. OK, so maybe I won't be a bookie. I could start a pyramid scheme but I don't seem to meet too many people stupid enough to enter into such things.

OK, if you can come up with any ways for me to pay my bills without working, please let me know. I could become an official at the Super Bowl and then I would be the one handing the game over to the team who would pay the most. Ya think?

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home