.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Dear Meg,

...By the way ... I think anyone has the capability of throwing information backin your face to hurt you. I have had women do it to me, as well...

Of course this guy is right, I've certainly heard women be as mean, if not meaner than any man can be. I'm not sure why we have that ability...it must be something about the side of the brain we use or something like that. I've read that women are better at verbal chores than men are and that may have something to do with it. One way or another, there's no reason to be mean to anyone.

I got a phone call this afternoon from my daughter who called to tell me that one of my sisters had been missing since Sunday. The entire family was notified within minutes...we have a big, sprawling family and the phone calls were flying. I called my sister at her house, thinking I would leave a message for her boyfriend to call me. I said that I was going to call the cops (no one else had!) and that apparently prompted her to call my other sister who called me to tell me that the missing sister was at home. Damn...I don't ever want to go through another half hour like that one.

I know that there are many people out there who are missing and I honestly don't know how the families deal with it, day after day, week after week...I was about to run to Florida to search the Everglades within 10 minutes of hearing the news. It was a terrifying hunk of my life that I never want to experience again.

While I thought she was missing, I just kept thinking about how naive my little sister is. I know that she would trust just about anyone and that's not such a good thing. I guess she got that from my mother and it's a lovely notion, but not the smartest way to think nowadays. I thought about when she was a baby and I had to change her crappy diapers. I hated doing that and she knew it. I would be totally disgusted with my mother for asking me to do it and my baby sister knew I didn't want to do it. At her young age, she sensed I wasn't happy about the diaper changing thing. But, while I changed her diapers, I would look her in her beautiful brown eyes and she would make me smile...every single time. I always ended the diaper changing with a hug. I don't see her very often since my mother died, Mom pretty much held the family together. But I love her as much as I ever did and I was so totally freaked that something could have happened to her that I need to see her soon. I don't know how I will, but somehow, I need to see both of my sisters.

It really makes you think. Somewhere in this country, there is someone who really DID go missing last weekend and that's a sad, sad thought. It means that a family is aching the way I ached while I thought that my sister was missing. I've often thought about the fact that you could wake up any day of your life and something dreadful could happen that very day. When I hear about car accidents, I consider the fact that the people in them woke up thinking it was just another day in their lives and it ended up being something much, much worse.

Whenever one of my kids leaves the house, I always tell them to "Be careful". Sometimes I wonder if I don't say it so much that they just ignore me but I say it anyway, hoping that they WILL be VERY careful. One very tough day in the life of a parent is the day that their kids get their license to drive. Oh my God, I became so close to the Lord when mine started! We were never closer than we were when my kids were first driving alone. I visited Him again this afternoon when I thought that my sister was missing...He remembered me.

My sister came home. I'd like to ring her neck, but I'll probably just wrap my arms around her like I did when she was a baby...dumb brat that she is. I hope that another family is as lucky as I was today and their loved one comes home soon.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home