.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, February 03, 2006

OK...I’m annoyed again...

...this time by the good people of Detroit, or at least the ones that bitched that the Super Bowl should showcase Motown talent instead of the Rolling Stones. I agree that the Stones might not be the best choice, but for totally different reasons. That Detroit is the home of Motown does not mean a football game must honor the music genre. I don’t remember anyone performing Jazz or the Blues when the Bears played in New Orleans.

But, that a bunch of 60 year old men refuse to die does bug me. They don’t have to actually die, but they could just sit back and rest on their amazing musical laurels like most senior citizen musicians do. Rod Stewart had the good sense to remake a bunch of standards in very good taste and Fleetwood Mac pretty much just lets the fat chick take most of the heat. I’m pretty sure that Mick Jagger is still sporting the same black leather pants that he wore when he first whined about not be able to get any Satisfaction.

The NFL caved and Arethra Franklin is singing the national anthem. That’s just fine...as long as we’re going with the oldest human singers on the planet. At least her type of music suits her and her age. But I am afraid of watching a bunch of skinny, saggy old men jumping up and down singing, “I’ll never be your Beast of Burden, my back is broke, my hands are hurtin’”. It’s called arthritis, Mick. You are neither, Rough enough, Tough enough, Rich enough, nor are you in love enough....for me to make love to you. I don’t want to Shatter you, but Suzie Q is a grandmother and won’t be Starting You Up again anytime soon. But don’t worry honey, You Get What You Need.

Time is no longer on Mick’s side and I don’t get the draw. But the Stones will, indeed, be performing at the Super Bowl Halftime Show. And that caused a racial issue. I am getting rather annoyed at all the attention being paid to race and race baiters. And it is NOT racist to say such things. Rather, I think it racist to bring up the issue every single time there’s even the tiniest opening. We all know how to act...we white people, that is. We have to act as though we don’t so much as notice color until it comes time to give someone of color an opportunity based upon color alone. Even the Rolling Stones, I’m sure, will know better than to sing Paint it Black in Detroit. Hell, they didn’t have the balls to sing Let’s Spend the Night Together on Ed Sullivan...and that was back when the entire country (of under 25’ers) was breaking every rule their parents, and society put forth.

Where, oh where is Mr. Mojo risin? We could use someone like him today. I think. It’s always possible that Morrison would have caved Under the Thumb of political correctness...but I bet he would still look good in his black leather pants. What a shame.

When All in the Family came on in reruns after I hadn’t seen the show for 20 years, I asked my son to watch it with me. Within 5 minutes of watching the program, he remarked, “This is the most racist thing I’ve ever seen.” I was astonished. Norman Lear and Rob Reiner racist? That is the furthest thing from reality that I can think of other than the fact that Mick Jagger hopping around on stage makes me require the Shelter of TWO of My Mother’s Little Helpers.

My son was unaware of what most of the nation seems to be unaware of. Racism was on the way out. Nobody gave a shit what the hell color you were. We had a handle on it and All in the Family was funny because we all knew an OLD man like Archie, who still found the “N” word just another name for a minority and used it at will. We knew that we weren’t racist and we were comfortable enough with that knowledge to laugh at the Bunker’s.

But, like the Rolling Stones, racism has become a “commodity” and there was money to be made and advantages to be had. So, in the land of the free and the home of the brave capitalists, racism and the Stones are still marketed quite successfully and I think that’s pretty damn sad.

And, to those who would call me racist for even daring to MENTION the issue, just Get the hell Off of My Cloud.

Meg


meg.kelso@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home