.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Good morning!

I’m a bit groggy from the xanax that I had to take last night but I didn’t have any Mary Tyler Moore nightmares so I’m fine. It’s not even 9 am and I’ve been annoyed a few times already. Thank goodness there’s still some of that xanax pulsing throughout my veins.There’s an article in this morning’s paper about a girl’s high school basketball game. Murry Bertraum High’s Epiphanny Prince scored a record 113 points against Brandeis High School in a 137-32 romp Wednesday night. There were accusations of poor sportsmanship because Brandeis was losing 74-11 at halftime and according to Brandeis’ coach Vera Springer, Brandeis stopped playing defense in the second half and the other team didn't.

Apparently, she believes that the young Ms. Prince should have given up at the same time. The only poor sportsmanship I can see is that of the losing team. No one told them to stop playing defense. That Ms. Prince chose to play the game is certainly NOT what I would consider poor sportsmanship, not by a half court shot.

What in the hell are they teaching kids nowadays? What happened to “winning one for the Gipper” or when “the going gets tough, the tough get going”? When I played high school track, I excelled as a sprinter. But when I had to run the 440, I ALWAYS ended up strolling over the finish line long after the other girls were reapplying their lipstick. If I had walked off of the track every time I had been passed by some speedy chick who LIKED running long races, I would have been kicked off the team.

This type of behavior reminds me of when I was on a bowling league as a child and lucky enough to be on a team with Sandy Boryzka and Cheryl Volino, the three of us played on the league for years and were, by far, the 3 best bowlers on that Saturday morning league. Every year, the new kids would come in and do what we did in our first year, throw 19 gutter balls every game. When my team would actually knock a few pins down, the parents of the newbies would complain to the head of the bowling league that we shouldn’t be allowed to play on the same team because there was no way to beat us. Well, there was a way, one those parents apparently never considered, they could have played for more than one year. In a bowling league for 6-12 year olds, I think that there are far more important lessons for the kids than simply winning.

As a matter of fact, isn’t there more to EVERY game than winning? Beside the pure fun of playing a sport that you love, there’s the camaraderie, the discipline and the ability to play your best, win or lose, and shake your opponent’s hand afterwards. So, when a team gives up at halftime...with the blessing of the coach...poor sportsmanship is most assuredly at hand. But not by the team that keeps on playing. And certainly not by the young lady who scored 113 points in an hour long game. I couldn’t do that if I were unopposed with Michael Jordan feeding me the ball and pointing to the basket.

Back in the day when the Bears could win a Super Bowl, they were accused of the same thing when Coach Ditka would give the Refridgerator the ball on second down and goal to go and let his fat ass fall into the end zone. I never understood it then and I don’t understand it now.

OK...I’m gonna suck coffee and wake up a bit and I’ll be back in a bit to bitch about something totally different. If you have any ideas, send them to me but if not, rest assured that I have enough estrogen left to be pissed off about something.

Meg

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Wendy Angus and i would like to show you my personal experience with Xanax.

I am 45 years old. Have been on Xanax for 2 years now. In working with a wonderful doctor and therapist, I have learned Meniere's Disease is an anxiety=provoked condition, and is the worst thing I have ever suffered in my life. To manage this, I take a low dose of Wellbutrin everyday and have a 1mg Rx for Xanax, which I am supposed to take 3x-a-day, but to be honest, I usually only take about 3-1mg a week, so only taking it when I honestly feel "too anxious". I also take Meclizine for the Meniere's attacks and those are only as needed as well. I feel the Xanax is better to have around than not, for my personal conditions. It took me a long time to balance out my meds, and taking too much xanax feels as horrible as the withdrawl can be, as I've experienced both. Now, after much time in getting to know what my body needs and how I am feeling (like with anxiety), and removing the 'stigma' of having to take a drug to manage my conditions is now over, taking just a few pills a week seems to work beautifully.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
It makes me very thirsty (dry mouth) but seems to work well in combination with other drugs for my conditions with no ill effects.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Wendy Angus

February 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home