.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Monday, February 27, 2006

There's no place like home...

...and that's where I am tonight. First, let me thank all of the folks who helped me out during one of the lowest points of my life. I must thank Anne and the many people who called on my behalf. I also want to thank my children for the many things that they did for me, they'll never know what it meant to me. My daughter was my rock, my son was my local rock and they are loved more than they will ever know.

I'd like to explain briefly what has happened over the past two weeks plus. Over time, I have so many things to tell you guys and eventually, I will tell you about all of them. I have had some extremely surreal experiences and even now, they all seem like some hideous nightmare from which I have finally awoken.

First, let me say that the gracious judge asked me not to use my probation officer’s real name on my blog so I shall respect that request and refer to her as Miss McCoy. Although he made no similar request regarding the police officer that she brought to my home, out of respect, I will refer to him as Officer Munster.

I will go into more detail in the very near future but for now, this will do. They came to my home after I called Miss McCoy to ask for help and under the guise of “concern for a suicidal woman”, she came to my home, Officer Munster in tow, after she told me that she would make a “few phone calls and get right back to me”.

She asked me to donate a specimen which I gladly did, forgetting a joint that I had smoked to help my appetite as I had begun losing weight again. That “dirty urine” was a violation of my probation. I was wrong to have done that but I did it anyway and for that, I freely admit responsibility. I was off to jail.

This all happened Monday morning, February 13th. I was booked and locked up with a court date to follow on Wednesday the 22nd. At that time, Miss McCoy offered me 45 days in county jail, 60 should I choose to go to trial. I did so. I went in front of the judge on that day and freely admitted my transgression and was willing to accept the consequences. During the trial, this blog was used against me.

After a brief trial, I was sentenced to 20 days in jail and with the 2 for 1 policy of Marietta city, that meant that I would be out of jail within 2 days. My attorney, as well as the judge, told me that Miss McCoy was a decent woman and not at all the liar that I had thought her to be. I decided that perhaps I had misjudged her and I decided to reassess my opinion of her.

After the trial was over, the woman came back into the holding cell where I was awaiting transport back to jail and she was now behaving in an manner inconsistent with the manner in which she conducted herself in front of the judge. Now a totally different person then she was in front of the judge, and with a contorted, angry face, she said some rather frightening things to me and promised to be “on me” in the future. Naturally, this behavior was not witnessed by the judge and for that I am dreadfully sorry.

When the time came for me to be released from custody, I learned that there was a “hold” on me for failure to appear at a court date in Cartersville for another traffic ticket that I received before I went on probation and that I would be held until Cartersville came to take me to Bartow County jail to await trial on that charge. I had that one immediately dismissed as I was in custody at the time. So, I just stood trial on the original violation and pled guilty so that I could leave jail today.

I am now home and a few of the fears that I had have come true. My phone has been disconnected as I was unable to pay the bill while I was in jail and now I am late on my rent and I hope that my landlord continues his patient and understanding manner. I am not sure how I will take care of these things, but as always, I will hopefully find a way to do so.

The time I spent in jail was quite an experience and I will be telling you about it in future posts. I was stunned at the numbers of people who were locked up for non-payment of fines and other such nonsense.

The treatment that was doled out to prisoners was despicable and I look forward to sharing some of the experiences that I had and that I was witness to.

My faith in law enforcement has been shaken and my respect for them has been shattered. I have been out of jail for a few hours now and I am going to spend a quiet evening at home recovering from my experience and then I should be back to my old self. I assure you, some of the things that I will be sharing will anger most decent humans. So, let me regroup tonight and then I hope that you tune in for the “rest of the story”.

One quick thing...I was amazed at the strength that most of the women that I was locked up with possess. They found a way to smile in the face of adversity and their faith was astounding. Facing some of the toughest experiences of their lives, they impressed me with their fortitude and strength of spirit.

Well, that’s the condensed version and I promise, there will be much more to follow as I share my experiences with you.

OK, now I am going to sit quietly in my living room and relax for a while. Then, I’m going to bathe like a son of a gun to get the jail filth off of me and hopefully, feel even better so that I can come back and enlighten you all with some of the hideous behavior of people who are supposed to be “the good guys.”

See ya,

Meg

By the way, I'm sure that most of you are aware that there are places in this country that either allow medical marijuana or have, at the very least, decriminalized marijuana in general. Isn't it amazing that I'm a criminal in some parts of this country and not in others? I should have known better...I am in GOGIA after all. And, if that's not bad enough, I'm in COBB COUNTY GOGIA! COBB, Count On Being Busted Cobb! Count On Bringing Bail Cobb! County Officers Break Bad Cobb! To the rest of the nation, here's fair warning, COBB..come on vacation, leave on probation!!!

email me at megbkelso@gmail.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm tellin' ya, I lived down your way and I have NEVER encountered the cretan mentality I found in terms of law enforcement. I was a Fed in my younger years right out of undergrad. I was recruited before I graduated and I actually LAUGHED at that proposition. I'm a bit older than you and I remember the '60's well. It was an incredible eye-opening experience. Later I went into the Profession that was my vocation-and professional love-the remainder of my working years.

But I firmly believe this is how those municipalities keep their numbers and their revenue up. It's simply unreal: Talk about a scam. Think of the spin-offs in terms of other people employed secondary to "Law Enforcement." Including Traumatologists who end up with people like you in their offices with PTSD secondary to their 'incarceration.' Gainfully employed, community involved, family oriented people who got a speeding ticket, truly forgot about it in the middle of the rest of their lives, had a warrant, got arrested, got thrown in jail and were drug tested for no reason. A little weed shows up, it's the week after the Superbowl or some such thing and you'd think these people were into reefer-madness. Meanwhile, tractor-trailer loads of coke are passing by on the interstate.
Not on my planet either, Meg.
TW

May 13, 2012  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

It's unGodly, isn't it? I still smoke weed every chance I get and it's the only thing that I would willingly go to jail for. How DARE these yahoos tell me that I can drink all night until I'm stupid and then tell me I can't toke a bit until I'm relaxed?

Gotta go...need to take a hit off this doobie.

May 13, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home