.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Good morning!

I went to my alcoholic class last night. That thing went so fast that I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to get out of it. Two people graduated from some program and that took 45 minutes. Then, the guy said, "Let's see, I have 15 minutes to conduct this meeting..." and went on to chat for a while and then everyone just left. It's more of a social thing than anything else. That just makes it sort of pleasant which is more than I can say for jail.

I still get letters from a few of the more normal people that I was in jail with. (The freaks just call me trying to get me to get them out.) There's one chick that I used to walk around the cell block with, singing 70's songs. We called ourselves The Radio. It was fun, especially since we both liked the same music. Every so often she writes me to get the words to some song that she wants to sing. If I remember correctly, she was in there on some type of drug charge, nothing like stealing or hurting anyone. She's the type of person that I could have been friends with under different circumstances. Her letters keep me up with all the other people that we knew in jail. She's still there but she said that most of the people that I knew are gone. So, if I went back, I wouldn't know a soul except her. I guess there won't be any reunions for us.

I'm still surprised at how many nice people were there. I watched Cool Hand Luke the other day and it reminded me of jail. The scene where Paul Newman was returned from escaping and all of his cell mates helped him reminded me of how nice most of the jail people were. The prisoners, not the guards. The prisoners, for the most part, treated each other pretty nicely. I don't know what the men's section was like, but the women pretty much took care of each other. That is of course, not counting the women who stole from me. Naturally, there were a few crooks there as well, but most of the prisoners were very nice. It was more like college without homework than what I would have thought jail was like. Not that I would want to go back, the guards ruined it all. Between being mean and relatively stupid, they made jail an unpleasant experience. So, I'll not be going back, thank you.

I understand that they aren't supposed to be like hotel employees, but they went far above the line of duty in acting like assholes. The one who said, "She looks like she just did too much crack." when I was sick was probably the worst. I wasn't in there for crack, I've never seen crack and I wouldn't know what it was if I did see it.

I wouldn't mind being a jail guard. I'd be the nice one. I think that you can be decent to people and still be a good guard. But, what do I know...maybe they're taught to be assholes or maybe it's just a pre-requisite for the job.

I went through that phase that a lot of people go through where I wanted to be a cop, but I wouldn't have been a good cop. I would have let people off the hook if they seemed nice enough and had a good hard luck story to tell. I went to church with a guy (when I was a teenager) who became a cop in the town that I grew up in. He lost his job because he locked a crook in the squad car with the keys and the guy drove away in my friend's cop car. I would probably do something like that so I'm not going to make fun of that guy.

Cop or prisoner, I'm pretty much done with law enforcement for a good while. I'm just going to be a good girl until I'm done with my probation and then go back to living my life again once I get my license back. I'm not going to do anything that would land me back in jail again but I must say, I still think that it isn't any of their business what I do in the privacy of my own home. My father and I discussed some of the things that I'm talking about and even he agreed with me. He's a conservative attorney and even he thinks that it's stupid that marijuana is illegal. If everyone that I've ever known that smoked pot went to jail, there would be very few people left on the streets.

You know, I still don't know how Rick was able to get out of his probation without urinating in a cup but he was allowed to leave the state while he was on probation for domestic violence. I never hurt a soul and I couldn't leave the state so that I could be closer to a support system where I could have had help completing the terms of my probation. I was truly in a no win situation and I'm not quite sure how I ever made it this far considering all the things that I have to do without a car or job or money to pay the fines with. But, I'm doing it. Mainly with the help of a very nice guy who I am just lucky to have met. If I didn't have help from a few different people, I don't know what I would have done. There was a moment there that I considered just going to jail and completing my terms by serving time instead of doing everything that they wanted me to do. That was always an option but my daughter didn't want me to be in jail without medical care anymore than I did. If I had to, I could just serve the time that I have left on my probation and with the two for one, I would only have to serve half of it. So, if I had 4 months left and couldn't complete the terms of my probation, I would just serve two months and not pay a dime. For a while there, that was starting to look like my only option. But, now I'm getting it all done on my own so I'll be finished with it all later.

I'm not lucky enough to get away with anything at all so I'll just be a good girl. I don't have enough cash to get away with murder and I'm not young and pretty enough to get away with molesting young boys. I wouldn't mind being a jewel thief like the woman in MI 2, but I would have loved to have done something like that. If I had my life to live over again, I just might be a big time jewel thief. That seems like such fun and I when I was younger, I was pretty enough to get in and out of places that have million dollar necklaces. Now I'd just look like some middle aged tourist and I probably wouldn't get invited to the types of places where they keep really, really expensive jewelry. Once when my brother was arrested for something stupid, my father remarked, "I wouldn't mind so much if he was a GOOD thief, but he keeps on doing stupid things that get him caught." I doubt that my dad meant that he would have enjoyed seeing my brother be a petty thief, but I do think that he would have appreciated a successful Ocean's Eleven type of crook. It's too late for me to start a new career as a jewel thief, I wouldn't be able to learn all the things that I'd need to know before I croak.

I think that if I had the time to really plan a caper well, it'd be fun, don't you? I like to read true crime and I watch the news when people get caught doing stupid things during their crimes. Recently, a couple of sisters robbed a bank. One of them worked at the bank and she was the "victim". She should have known that she would have to take a lie detector test so that was just stupid. I'm amazed at how many people rob banks in the Atlanta area. Quite a few of them seem to get away with it but not all of them. I don't think that I would bother robbing a bank. I'd like to come up with something a bit more original like the way they stole the truck in The Italian Job. Now THAT looked like fun and it took creativity. I could respect a crook like that. Unfortunately, I don't know any safe crackers, explosive experts or really good get away drivers so I wouldn't be any good at it. But, if I had it to do over again, I would be a crook like those guys.

Well, not having any capers to plan, I think I'll go ahead and do the dishes.

Damn.

Meg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home