.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Hi. I'm trying to think of another description to put here. Any ideas? I'll try again at 420.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Guess what?!!!

I just got back from the doctor and while I was there, I told him that I was losing weight again. He weighed me and saw that I was, indeed, losing weight. I joked about smoking marijuana and he responded, "You don't need to smoke that, I can give it to you in a legal, pill form."

So, he did. I'm a nurse and I didn't even know that was an option. I knew about the drug Marinol, but I didn't think it was legal. I may very well have mentioned it in this blog somewhere, specifically saying that is WAS illegal. Well, it's not. It's perfectly legal and it's given quite often, according to the pharmacist.

Whenever I'm prescribed a new medication, I always ask a few questions about it before I get it and this was no different. I asked the pharmacist if Marinol would cause a positive urine for marijuana and he said, "Yes ma'am."

When they tested me in February and I came up positive for marijuana, I told the cop and the PO that I had smoked it to get an appetite and I meant it. They laughed and the cop said, "That's a new one." But I really, really DID smoke it to get an appetite. The PO said that they have drugs for that and she was right. But, it turns out that the drug for that will cause a positive urine anyway. She didn't mention that. I doubt that she knew...I certainly didn't.

So now what do I do? Take the drug as prescribed and hope that I don't get tested next time? Or just continue to lose weight? At first I didn't mind the weight loss but when I got below 115 I started to worry and I certainly never wanted to get down to 90 pounds, which I did eventually do. I gained about 20 pounds and got up to 111 the last time I went to the doctor but now I'm back under 100 and that can't be.

So, now I have Marinol, legally, but it will cause my urine to be postive for weed. Ain't life grand? It most certainly is interesting.

Meg

8 Comments:

Blogger More Juice said...

Hello

I hope you don't mind me doing a shameless plug, but the subject matter is extremely relevant to your members...

Like lots of people going through the absolute hell of betrayal and separation I used writing to keen myself sane (enough).

It became a diary of numbered poems that document a pretty bad year for me called "180 Degrees of Separation"...

2. THE INSIDE OF MY EYELIDS
Insertion, exertion.
The removal of doubt
that a man has been in
where my children came out.

I thought my poems would start all angry and bitter and become more intelligent and beautiful as I "got better"... that didn't quite happen though. See how they ended up at...

180 Degrees of Separation

tom

June 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call and ask your probation officer...and definitely make a copy of the prescription, and a copy of the bill for the office visit...

June 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I'm a little late to the party here, but why are you loosing weight? I'm tempted to say, wish I had that problem, but I know enough to know that's not always true.
Hope you don't mind my asking.
dixiebelle1990@hotmail.com

June 15, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Yep, I'm going to have to. I asked a lady at the meeting tonight and she said the same thing. The only problem is that I'm not allowed to call her, I tried once to ask something and she said "You know you aren't allowed to call here!" Well, I didn't know that. I am going to try again in the morning, at least to ask for an appointment with her. I'm already taking xanax, morphine and hydrocodone...this would make one more thing that I would test positive for. I have shown her all the bottles and I guess I'll have to show her this one too. She already isn't happy with the medications that I'm taking but I do need them...the doctor wouldn't give them to me if I didn't. I'm not sure what all they test for when they do drug test me, but I think that with all of the meds that I'm taking, I would pretty much be positive for ALL of them except for amphetamines and cocaine. It's all legal of course, but damn, I'm taking a bunch of stuff. They told me after the surgery that it would be years before I felt well again and they weren't kidding.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your advice, I truly appreciate it!

Meg

June 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg,
First of all YEAH your post thing is working!!! Now, you would think (and tell me if I am wrong) that if you are taking something that is legal and your bring your prescriptions with you to your probation meetings then your probation officer would have to let your off the hook for those very same things. Now, I guess they could say that even though you have this medicine you could still be smoking pot because you would test positive for it anyways (to that I would say...a very small yipee) but I don't think that they can hold it against you if you have a prescription for it. Now, I am not sure about this because I have never been in this situation before but it seems to just make sense. I hope you have a great weekend. I have enjoying your blog for quite sometime. I have laughed with you and cryed with you, even thought about donating money for you but always seem to remember that I have a husband, 3 kids, 2 stepkids and 4 grandchildren that I have to help take care of and that just eats (literally) everything we have. I do pray for you, I hope that it has helped. God Bless you Meg, you lead a very interesting life.

June 16, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

Karin,

Yep, of all the things that I can say about my life, interesting certainly pops up first! Thanks for bring around and for your prayers, I most certainly can use them and the way things have been going over the last year, I'd say that except for a couple of downers, some prayers have been answered. Now, I'm going to address these comments in a post!

Be right back,

Meg

June 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MEG..you won..
Look..you can smoke it..how are they to know you didnt..you have a prescriotion for the samething and well get your DR to write you a letter on his letterhead saying the drug will make you test postive, and have him address it to the PO and to you and to who it may concern..then make a copy, keep it on you, and then give it to your porbation officer BEFORE you go..this way she can call and so on..and well explain why you have to take the pill and you will be fine..
Trust the BUGMAN..remember...

June 17, 2006  
Blogger Meg Kelso said...

LOL, they aren't that stupid and neither am I. I'm quite sure that there's a way that they can tell the difference, they'd have to send it off to a lab and I'd have to sit in jail and wait. But that's OK, I just wanted to have an appetite and stop being sick to my stomache. If this medicine works for that, I don't need to smoke anything. But, I won't be on probation forever!

Meg

June 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home